The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Kicked Ball

Can someone clearly explain the rules for a kicked ball for the offensive team and for the defensive team? My partner last night, in my opinion, misjudged two of these, which I explained to him after the game. Just wanted to check myself.

HR
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

There is no difference for the offensive or defensive team. Intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg is a kick. Anything else is not a kick.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

In my case A1 dribbled the ball rather hard off her foot which ended up going to A2. Partner calls a kicked ball and gives the ball to B.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopperref View Post
In my case A1 dribbled the ball rather hard off her foot which ended up going to A2. Partner calls a kicked ball and gives the ball to B.
From your description, definitely not a kicked ball.

Oh, and it wouldn't matter whether it was her foot or her defenders, in neither case would it be a kicked ball.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:19pm
Ch1town

The key word in ruling this play correctly would be, intentionally.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with both of you that the intent is the key part. I explained this to my partner, who has been calling for a long time. I am a new official.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I had this same discussion with a wreck league warrior a couple weeks ago.

He told me in the middle of the game that we needed to "clean up a lot of the kick balls out there."

We did have a few loose balls in the game, but all the ones I saw were not with intent. I told him that, and at first he tried to correct me on the rule. Then, when he realized he had the rule wrong, he tried to go to the "well we gotta be consistent, otherwise the players are just gonna get upset."

I just walked away from him at that point. I'm hoping not to get him as a JV partner this year. But if I do, we'll have to have a loooooong pre-game.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopperref View Post
Can someone clearly explain the rules for a kicked ball for the offensive team and for the defensive team? My partner last night, in my opinion, misjudged two of these, which I explained to him after the game. Just wanted to check myself.

HR
All right, someone has to ask. If you are both looking at the ball handler enough that you are questioning youre partner's judgement on a kicked ball, who is officiating the rest of the players?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Then, when he realized he had the rule wrong, he tried to go to the "well we gotta be consistent, otherwise the players are just gonna get upset."
Yeah - and being consistent is calling it a kick whenever it's intentional and not whenever it's not. Did you explain this to him?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yeah - and being consistent is calling it a kick whenever it's intentional and not whenever it's not. Did you explain this to him?
Earlier in the conversation I had said, "We've got to call it as the rule says. That means if it's intentional, we call it, if it's not, we don't."

To which he responded with his "consistency" comment. It was clear he wasn't going to be out-argued so I just let him have the last word.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
The key word in ruling this play correctly would be, intentionally.
That's the same rule here for FIBA. However, I'd like to inform that you're not alone with Billy Packer; some days ago the technical commentator (a former player) told the public a nice gem.

Team B deflects OOB a pass from A1 to A2; ball to A with 1 second left on the shot clock. The commentator seriously says: "Only a few people know that if the thrower in bats the ball against a defender's leg, team A would get a new 24 second period."

Yes, very few people; and not the officials, hopefully.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. An unintentionally kicked ball is never illegal, regardless of how far the ball goes and who recovers it. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just For Kicks

In twenty-seven years, most of the kicks that I've called have been against the defensive team, where the defensive player sticks out his, or her, leg to prevent a pass from going past him, or her.

I do remember one play where it was against the offensive team. The team on offense was starting a fast break, when the ball got loose on the floor. A2 was wide open leading the break, so A1 kicked the ball from the floor forward to him, who then secured the ball and scored. Easy call. Kick. No basket. During a timeout, a fan told me that the kicker was an all-state soccer player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:57pm.