The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
Ball unintentionally kicked into DBT - NFHS

NFHS
R1. Pitcher delivers a pitch to the plate which bounces off of the catcher's shin guard and is heading toward the dug out. As the catcher chases after the ball, he unintentionally kicks the ball into the dug out (dbt). What is the base award? Please provide rule reference.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Well, what do you think it is?

Please provide rule references
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
I have not been able to locate a rule reference in the NFHS to clearly address this situation. If it were to have happened to me during a game, I would have awarded two bases from the time of the pitch. I'm probably wrong here, that's why I'm asking.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine27
I have not been able to locate a rule reference in the NFHS to clearly address this situation. If it were to have happened to me during a game, I would have awarded two bases from the time of the pitch. I'm probably wrong here, that's why I'm asking.
Is 8.3.3K anything like your play?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to papablue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is 8.3.3K anything like your play?
Bob, those of us without a FED Casebook may be curious to hear what 8.3.3K says.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papablue
Bob, those of us without a FED Casebook may be curious to hear what 8.3.3K says.
FED 8.3.3 Situation K:

F1 throws a pitch that strikes F2 on a shinguard and rolls away. The ball (a) has stopped moving and F2, attempting to pick it up, kicks it into DBT, or (b) is rolling and deflects off F2's glove into DBT or (c) F2 intentionally kicks the ball into DBT.

Ruling:

In (a), F2 applied the force that caused the ball to go into DBT, so the kick (throw) results in all runners being awarded two bases from the base occupied at the time of the kick (throw). The pitch is considered to be over. In (b), the force on the pitch caused the ball to go into DBT, so the award to all runners is one base from the base occupied at the TOP. In (c), if the umpire judges the pitch would have gone into DBT without the kick, one base is awarded. If the kick is judged to have caused the ball to go into DBT, two bases are awarded.

-Josh
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

What if the ball bounces off the shinguard behind the batter. The batter, attempting to get out of the way, backs up and inadvertantly kicks the ball which then goes out of play?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
One base.