The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kicked Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49518-kicked-ball.html)

hilltopperref Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55am

Kicked Ball

Can someone clearly explain the rules for a kicked ball for the offensive team and for the defensive team? My partner last night, in my opinion, misjudged two of these, which I explained to him after the game. Just wanted to check myself.

HR

jdw3018 Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57am

There is no difference for the offensive or defensive team. Intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg is a kick. Anything else is not a kick.

hilltopperref Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04pm

In my case A1 dribbled the ball rather hard off her foot which ended up going to A2. Partner calls a kicked ball and gives the ball to B.

jdw3018 Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopperref (Post 545531)
In my case A1 dribbled the ball rather hard off her foot which ended up going to A2. Partner calls a kicked ball and gives the ball to B.

From your description, definitely not a kicked ball.

Oh, and it wouldn't matter whether it was her foot or her defenders, in neither case would it be a kicked ball.

Ch1town Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:19pm

The key word in ruling this play correctly would be, intentionally.

hilltopperref Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22pm

I agree with both of you that the intent is the key part. I explained this to my partner, who has been calling for a long time. I am a new official.

fiasco Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:43pm

I had this same discussion with a wreck league warrior a couple weeks ago.

He told me in the middle of the game that we needed to "clean up a lot of the kick balls out there."

We did have a few loose balls in the game, but all the ones I saw were not with intent. I told him that, and at first he tried to correct me on the rule. Then, when he realized he had the rule wrong, he tried to go to the "well we gotta be consistent, otherwise the players are just gonna get upset."

I just walked away from him at that point. I'm hoping not to get him as a JV partner this year. But if I do, we'll have to have a loooooong pre-game.

doubleringer Fri Oct 24, 2008 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopperref (Post 545525)
Can someone clearly explain the rules for a kicked ball for the offensive team and for the defensive team? My partner last night, in my opinion, misjudged two of these, which I explained to him after the game. Just wanted to check myself.

HR

All right, someone has to ask. If you are both looking at the ball handler enough that you are questioning youre partner's judgement on a kicked ball, who is officiating the rest of the players?

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 24, 2008 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 545545)
Then, when he realized he had the rule wrong, he tried to go to the "well we gotta be consistent, otherwise the players are just gonna get upset."

Yeah - and being consistent is calling it a kick whenever it's intentional and not whenever it's not. Did you explain this to him?

fiasco Fri Oct 24, 2008 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 545566)
Yeah - and being consistent is calling it a kick whenever it's intentional and not whenever it's not. Did you explain this to him?

Earlier in the conversation I had said, "We've got to call it as the rule says. That means if it's intentional, we call it, if it's not, we don't."

To which he responded with his "consistency" comment. It was clear he wasn't going to be out-argued so I just let him have the last word.

eg-italy Fri Oct 24, 2008 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 545538)
The key word in ruling this play correctly would be, intentionally.

That's the same rule here for FIBA. However, I'd like to inform that you're not alone with Billy Packer; some days ago the technical commentator (a former player) told the public a nice gem.

Team B deflects OOB a pass from A1 to A2; ball to A with 1 second left on the shot clock. The commentator seriously says: "Only a few people know that if the thrower in bats the ball against a defender's leg, team A would get a new 24 second period." :eek:

Yes, very few people; and not the officials, hopefully. :cool:

BillyMac Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:38pm

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. An unintentionally kicked ball is never illegal, regardless of how far the ball goes and who recovers it. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.

BillyMac Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:44pm

Just For Kicks

In twenty-seven years, most of the kicks that I've called have been against the defensive team, where the defensive player sticks out his, or her, leg to prevent a pass from going past him, or her.

I do remember one play where it was against the offensive team. The team on offense was starting a fast break, when the ball got loose on the floor. A2 was wide open leading the break, so A1 kicked the ball from the floor forward to him, who then secured the ball and scored. Easy call. Kick. No basket. During a timeout, a fan told me that the kicker was an all-state soccer player.