The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

against them? I did a men's league game last night and the PG was getting double teamed before his dribble. He started to dribble and itbounced off his foot right to a teammate standing underneath the basket. My partner blew his whistle and called a kicked ball and gave the ball to the defense. One of the players came up to me and said that the offense cannot have a kicked ball called against them. I just said that my partner made the call and we would talk about it.

We had a conversation and he said that it looked to him like the PG intentionally kicked it toward that player. I said that we would go with that and he explained to the "coach" what the call was. What is the rule? We are using NFHS rules.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Don't ever listen to players. The violation for deliberately kicking the ball applies to every player on the floor--all 10 of 'em.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Yep. If it was intentional it was a kicked ball.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
BTW, a kick ball means more than just "kicking" it. It includes any deliberate act, such as grabbing the ball with your feet or legs in order to secure it.

Like you might see with a loose ball & players on the floor.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

The key is intent, not offense or defense. Any player can be called for the violation if, in the referee's opinion, there was an intent to stop or move the ball with any part of the leg.

As for JR's comment about never listening to the players - you might want to listen sometimes. After all, they have a tendency to same some amusing things sometimes...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Rule 4-29 says, "Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot."

That is it. The rule is just that one line. It says nothing about offense or defense.

You might want to think of it this way. Do you think it would be fair for an offensive player to kick a loose ball away from a defensive player on a possible break away?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:40am
M.A.S.H.

I would probably say that this is probably one of the rules that fans don't know -- that is they think it can only be called on the defense.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I would probably say that this is probably one of the rules that fans don't know -- that is they think it can only be called on the defense.
I called this on the offense about 3 times this year alone. One time an one of my partners tried to question what I saw. He obviously bought into that same idea about what the offense could or could not do.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:49am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I called this on the offense about 3 times this year alone. One time an one of my partners tried to question what I saw. He obviously bought into that same idea about what the offense could or could not do.

Peace
I only saw it called once this year on the offense and I didn't call it. I would also say that they (fans) think just because it hits the foot/leg that is it an automatic violation. Of course we know beter.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a book published this year by the NFHS that listed all of the rules that fans don't know. I believe it was called the "2004-2005 Basketball Rules Book."
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]BTW, a kick ball means more than just "kicking" it. It includes any deliberate act, such as grabbing the ball with your feet or legs in order to secure it.

Where do you get this????
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
BTW, a kick ball means more than just "kicking" it. It includes any deliberate act, such as grabbing the ball with your feet or legs in order to secure it.

How do you interpret this from "striking" with leg or foot????????
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

How do you interpret this from "striking" with leg or foot????????
This has been debated before.

The intent of the rule is making it illegal to gain an advantage by CONTACTING the ball with your leg.

The rule would be better served if it read intentionally contacting the ball and not intentionally striking the ball.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
__________________________________________________ _________
Come on Tanner. You don't mean you really think there are fans who don't know the rules do you? After all, every howler monkey is a genius! Right? (LOL)
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE

This has been debated before.

The intent of the rule is making it illegal to gain an advantage by CONTACTING the ball with your leg.

The rule would be better served if it read intentionally contacting the ball and not intentionally striking the ball. [/B][/QUOTE]

I know this has been debated before and I don't buy the "intent of the rule" argument. If a player wants to hold the ball between his/her knees I don't see an infraction. I'll discontinue my post on this subject because I'm sure we'll only agree that we disagree.