The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Bleeding player

Quote:
3.3.7 SITUATION C: Officials discover blood on players A1 and B1 simultaneously and direct both players to leave the game. After notification by the officials, Team A chooses to call a time-out to keep A1 in the game, while Team B elects to substitute B6 for B1. RULING: B6 must enter the game prior to the official granting the time-out for Team A. A1 must be ready to play by the end of the time-out. B1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after time has run off the clock.
I was under the impression that if either team calls timeout in this situation, both players may remain in the game following the timeout. So if both A1 and B1 were to remain in the game, both teams would have to use a timeout?

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 01:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I was under the impression that if either team calls timeout in this situation, both players may remain in the game following the timeout. So if both A1 and B1 were to remain in the game, both teams would have to use a timeout?

-Josh
Correct.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Correct.
Guess I missed that somewhere along the lines...Maybe that was baseball where both teams didn't have to be charged a timeout

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
Rule 3-3, situation 6, see the note.

Last edited by JS 20; Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 03:18pm. Reason: Thanks Rufus
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
Rule 3-4, situation 6, see the note.
JS - Quick correction as I think you meant 3.3.6 & 7, then reference the Note beneath them.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
JS - Quick correction as I think you meant 3.3.6 & 7, then reference the Note beneath them.
I would say you're correct...I don't know how I missed that little note. I think the boss must have been bothering me when I read that rule. Darn boss is always getting in my way of proper rules study arg...

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
You are correct. Same problem as jdmara. Work getting in the way!
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Note also the timeouts will be taken concurrently rather than consecutively.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good point!
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Bloody Mess ...

3.3.6 Situation C: Officials discover blood on players A1 and B1 simultaneously and direct both players to leave the game. After notification by the officials, Team A chooses to call a time-out to keep A1 in the game, while Team B elects to substitute B6 for B1. Ruling: B6 must enter the game prior to the official granting the time-out for Team A. A1 must be ready to play by the end of the time-out. B1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after time has run off the clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sounds Right, But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Citation please.

Also. Let's say that A1 and B1 bang heads, and start bleeding. Coaches, and trainers, are beckoned onto the court, and all come out onto the court to attend to their players. Coach A decides, in only a few seconds, to take a 60 second time out, which is granted, to put a bandage onto A1's cut, and takes all his players to his bench area during the time out. After 60 seconds, all players on Team A, including the properly bandaged A1, are ready to play ball. Meanwhile, the coach, and trainer, from Team B take a lot more time to "check out" B1's condition, while B1, Coach A, and Trainer A, are still on the court. After a full minute passes, Coach B decides to take a 30 second time out, which is granted, to put a bandage onto B1's cut, and takes all his players to his bench area during the time out. After 30 seconds, all players on Team B, including the properly bandaged B1, are ready to play ball.

Is this a correct scenario? If so, aren't these consecutive timeouts? I'm not sure, so again, citations please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Citation please.

Also. Let's say that A1 and B1 bang heads, and start bleeding. Coaches, and trainers, are beckoned onto the court, and all come out onto the court to attend to their players. Coach A decides, in only a few seconds, to take a 60 second time out, which is granted, to put a bandage onto A1's cut, and takes all his players to his bench area during the time out. After 60 seconds, all players on Team A, including the properly bandaged A1, are ready to play ball. Meanwhile, the coach, and trainer, from Team B take a lot more time to "check out" B1's condition, while B1, Coach A, and Trainer A, are still on the court. After a full minute passes, Coach B decides to take a 30 second time out, which is granted, to put a bandage onto B1's cut, and takes all his players to his bench area during the time out. After 30 seconds, all players on Team B, including the properly bandaged B1, are ready to play ball.

Is this a correct scenario? If so, aren't these consecutive timeouts? I'm not sure, so again, citations please.
I believe that all players need to be properly attended to prior to any subs. Therefore, Team A cannot take a timeout or sub prior to to B1 being at least at the team's bench.

-Josh
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 02:40am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Citation please.

In the same section that dictates they run concurrently is the requirement that a full t/o must be taken to keep an injured/bleeding player in the game. There is a specific exception that allows for a 30 to be expended if no full to's are remaining. If you have a full to and you want to keep the injured player in the game, you must use it.
The scenario you described above would only be legal ONLY if Team B had no full to's
available. Play would resume at the end of the full to granted to team A.

BTW, been almost a week for you? Any DTs or other side effects of withdrawal?
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
In the same section that dictates they run concurrently is the requirement that a full t/o must be taken to keep an injured/bleeding player in the game. There is a specific exception that allows for a 30 to be expended if no full to's are remaining. If you have a full to and you want to keep the injured player in the game, you must use it.
The scenario you described above would only be legal ONLY if Team B had no full to's
available. Play would resume at the end of the full to granted to team A.

BTW, been almost a week for you? Any DTs or other side effects of withdrawal?
COMPLETE DOO-DOO!!!

The requirement to use a full time-out, if one is available, is for a coach's request regarding a correctable error. That is detailed in 5-11-3.

That article has nothing at all to do with injured/bleeding players.

When the NFHS introduced the rule to allow injured/bleeding players to remain in the game with a time-out back in 2002-03, they included a comment in the back of the book. The first sentence of that comment was: "This change permits a player who is required to leave the game for blood or injury to remain in the game if the team calls a time-out (60 or 30-second) and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 07:34pm.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 06:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Citation please.

First, I can't find the cite. Not sure where it is; maybe an NFHS interp rather than a case play? Maybe I'm wrong?

Second, the coaches both have to make their decision prior to any timeouts being granted.