The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

A1 Injured / Unrelated, B3 bleeding

NCAA and NF please...

Looking for rule confirmation on this situation...

Mens - A1 is injured and we beckoned A's coach on to the floor. During this period, I am near table, nearer B's bench when I notice blood on the floor. I look up to discover B3 is bleeding and getting bandaged by B's trainer.

Obviously A1 has to sit and A can burn a TO to keep him in the game.

How do I handle B.

NCAA - I was looking at 3-4-13, 16 and 17 (pg 61)....In this case, the player was treated before A1 got off the floor for his injury.

Also - check out - 3-4-8 which for womens says if the situation cant be resolved in 20 seconds, we must have a sub. Since that exception is there, I think in mens, the bleeder he has to sit regardless of how quickly we fix it.

Anyway, what we did was required a sub for B3 or allow B to burn a TO, which they did.

Also - I'm looking for clarification on a time out to buy them back in that situation. I believe in high school in a situation like this, each team has to use a TO to keep an injured or bleeding player in the game. We were debating the other night, is this rule the same in college? Looking for a rule reference on that as well.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

By rule--both teams would have to spend a time out to keep the players in the game--it is an unfair advantage for one team to have to take a time-out and the other team to utilize that time to keep their palyer in the game. The college rule as you stated is correct though, they can try to get it fixed within the time frame and keep the player in.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 11:14am
In Memoriam

NFHS rule 3-3-6NOTE--"If players from both teams are directed to leave the game because of injury/blood, both team must request and be granted a time-out in order to keep each player in the game."
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

There was a clarification issued last season in NCAA that stated:

"If an opponent is also injured at the same time, to the extent that bench personnel is beckoned on to floor, both players are permitted to remain in the game if either team requested and was granted a timeout (A.R. 58)."

What I'm not sure if that just applies to NCAA-W, or to men as well.

In NCAA-W, the procedure for blood/lost contacts is slightly different than injury. For injury, the official must determine if the player is ready to play immediately. If not, the coach has 2 options: 1)request a TO, or 2)replace with a sub. For option 2, the coach has 20 sec. to replace.

For blood, the coach has 3 options: 1)fix the problem in 20 seconds (with the timer), 2)request a TO, or 3)replace with a sub.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thx guys.