The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Improper Use of Bleeding Injuries

I just started working some Intramural Indoor Soccer games (a heck of a game if you ask me) due to a shortage of officials here, however I'm not very accustomed to soccer rules, so I decided to read over the NCAA Soccer Rule Book just to get a sense of things. It lists the following as violations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Soccer Rule Book
Spitting, Kicking, Striking, Tripping, Improper Use of Bleeding Injuries, or Jumping
Needless to say, I got a little chuckle out of this, but then realized that, unlike basketball (now anyway), you can play while bleeding. Does anyone know if rules like this ever existed before the rule change to get rid of excessive blood?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

NewNCref. You are "reading" into the rule a misinterpretation.
I referee NCAA Soccer in addition to refereeing HS basketball. In NCAA soccer you may not continue to play with a "bleeding" injury. It is included in the list of DFK offenses to allow for a situation where inadvertent contact had resulted in a player bleeding, play having not yet been stopped to deal with the bleeding and the player then using the blood "improperly". This list inclusion, allows the referee to sanction the behavior as a foul and award a DFK to the opponents. Without it being so listed the only action available to the referee would be to issue a caution the the offender and restart with an IDFk.