The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Moderators, Part II

Okay, since we're giving some serious thought and discussion to what's appropriate here, and what's not...

What about to point I raised in the other thread?

IMHO way more destructive than off topic posts are the completely uncivil posts by those who have knighted themselves as the "keepers of the one true way."

You know the posts I mean. It's nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about unorthodox mechanics, rules v. reality, the NBA way, what the NCAA big dogs do and why we might want to do the same, and many similar topics because inevitably certain posters get their panties in a wad and begin howling and shouting trying to drive the heretics from our hallowed halls. And, in the end, they claim it's all a righteous quest to not allow newbies to be confused by bad ideas.

I'll take pages of off topic posts over one of these nasty tirades any day.

So, since we're asking our good citizens to exercise a modicum of self control in keeping posts on topic, and our moderators to get involved more in policing the sadly declining (in some people's opinions) tone of this board, I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Remember That 50's Television Game Show, "You Asked For It" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
IMHO way more destructive than off topic posts are the completely uncivil posts by those who have knighted themselves as the "keepers of the one true way." You know the posts I mean. It's nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about unorthodox mechanics, rules v. reality, the NBA way, what the NCAA big dogs do and why we might want to do the same, and many similar topics because inevitably certain posters get their panties in a wad and begin howling and shouting trying to drive the heretics from our hallowed halls. And, in the end, they claim it's all a righteous quest to not allow newbies to be confused by bad ideas. I'll take pages of off topic posts over one of these nasty tirades any day. So, since we're asking our good citizens to exercise a modicum of self control in keeping posts on topic, and our moderators to get involved more in policing the sadly declining (in some people's opinions) tone of this board, I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.
Get ready. Duck. 'Cause here it comes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 07:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
....I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.
As a relatively novice referee compared to many here, when the bull elephants are "rampaging around the room" I just stay in my corner and watch and learn as I hope the other rookies, newbies, and lurkers do.

How does that old expression go, "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought of as ignorant, than it is to open one's mouth and confim it." (or something like that). So, I just stay quiet and listen.

I have felt some topics/discussions have gotten a bit over-heated (read - old school back in the day), but, that's part of the "charm" of the board for me. I find this an invaluable tool - inspite of some of its warts - which are to be expected I suppose. JMO
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Charmed I'm Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That's part of the "charm" of the board for me.
Charm? That's the last word that I would have expected to be used in reference to the Forum. I enjoy the Forum too, as you do, "warts" and all, but, "Charm?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 07:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Charm? That's the last word that I would have expected to be used in reference to the Forum. I enjoy the Forum too, as you do, "warts" and all, but, "Charm?".
Yes, Charm! This Forum is filled with personalities - Mark, JR, JRut, Bits, Juulie, BKRef, you, etc. Most of us have never met and will never meet. Yet, we logon and come together over the net almost every day, for a common bond - our love of the game. I think it's got a certain charm to it. What, ya gonna disagree now and yell at me? Chew me out? Call me names? Hahaha. Just kidding!
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Let's at least try to keep these topics about "what's appropriate" on topic.
Closed Thread