The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Moderators, Part II (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49124-moderators-part-ii.html)

Back In The Saddle Sat Sep 27, 2008 03:59pm

Moderators, Part II

Okay, since we're giving some serious thought and discussion to what's appropriate here, and what's not...

What about to point I raised in the other thread?

IMHO way more destructive than off topic posts are the completely uncivil posts by those who have knighted themselves as the "keepers of the one true way."

You know the posts I mean. It's nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about unorthodox mechanics, rules v. reality, the NBA way, what the NCAA big dogs do and why we might want to do the same, and many similar topics because inevitably certain posters get their panties in a wad and begin howling and shouting trying to drive the heretics from our hallowed halls. And, in the end, they claim it's all a righteous quest to not allow newbies to be confused by bad ideas.

I'll take pages of off topic posts over one of these nasty tirades any day.

So, since we're asking our good citizens to exercise a modicum of self control in keeping posts on topic, and our moderators to get involved more in policing the sadly declining (in some people's opinions) tone of this board, I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.

BillyMac Sat Sep 27, 2008 06:34pm

Anybody Remember That 50's Television Game Show, "You Asked For It" ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 539763)
IMHO way more destructive than off topic posts are the completely uncivil posts by those who have knighted themselves as the "keepers of the one true way." You know the posts I mean. It's nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about unorthodox mechanics, rules v. reality, the NBA way, what the NCAA big dogs do and why we might want to do the same, and many similar topics because inevitably certain posters get their panties in a wad and begin howling and shouting trying to drive the heretics from our hallowed halls. And, in the end, they claim it's all a righteous quest to not allow newbies to be confused by bad ideas. I'll take pages of off topic posts over one of these nasty tirades any day. So, since we're asking our good citizens to exercise a modicum of self control in keeping posts on topic, and our moderators to get involved more in policing the sadly declining (in some people's opinions) tone of this board, I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.

Get ready. Duck. 'Cause here it comes.

grunewar Sat Sep 27, 2008 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 539763)
....I'm asking the same in addressing this much larger elephant that's been allowed to rampage around the room.

As a relatively novice referee compared to many here, when the bull elephants are "rampaging around the room" I just stay in my corner and watch and learn as I hope the other rookies, newbies, and lurkers do.

How does that old expression go, "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought of as ignorant, than it is to open one's mouth and confim it." (or something like that). So, I just stay quiet and listen.

I have felt some topics/discussions have gotten a bit over-heated (read - old school back in the day), but, that's part of the "charm" of the board for me. I find this an invaluable tool - inspite of some of its warts - which are to be expected I suppose. JMO

BillyMac Sat Sep 27, 2008 07:16pm

Charmed I'm Sure ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 539788)
That's part of the "charm" of the board for me.

Charm? That's the last word that I would have expected to be used in reference to the Forum. I enjoy the Forum too, as you do, "warts" and all, but, "Charm?".

grunewar Sat Sep 27, 2008 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 539789)
Charm? That's the last word that I would have expected to be used in reference to the Forum. I enjoy the Forum too, as you do, "warts" and all, but, "Charm?".

Yes, Charm! This Forum is filled with personalities - Mark, JR, JRut, Bits, Juulie, BKRef, you, etc. Most of us have never met and will never meet. Yet, we logon and come together over the net almost every day, for a common bond - our love of the game. I think it's got a certain charm to it. What, ya gonna disagree now and yell at me? Chew me out? Call me names? Hahaha. Just kidding! :D

bob jenkins Sat Sep 27, 2008 07:47pm

Let's at least try to keep these topics about "what's appropriate" on topic.