The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Is this an oxymoron, like Jumbo Shrimp, Small Crowd, Nondairy Creamer, Wireless Cable, Genuine Veneer, or Government Organization?
Or how about the NWS recent statement that residents in certain parts of texas "may face certain death"?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

A1 fouled. Official signals 1 and 1. A1 misses the first FT but A2 scores on the rebound.

Before the ball is put into play by B the official becomes aware of the fact that it should have been a 2 shot double bonus and stops play.

What happens?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
A1 fouled. Official signals 1 and 1. A1 misses the first FT but A2 scores on the rebound.

Before the ball is put into play by B the official becomes aware of the fact that it should have been a 2 shot double bonus and stops play.

What happens?
A1 shoots the second free throw without anyone on the lane. Make or miss, you continue at the POI. It is B's ball on the baseline, they have the ability to run.

-Josh
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

What happens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
A1 shoots the second free throw without anyone on the lane. Make or miss, you continue at the POI. It is B's ball on the baseline, they have the ability to run.

-Josh
Josh is right, but you may want to consider be aware that B's coach isn't gonna be happy.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 12:37pm. Reason: to please EGSDOTU
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Josh is right, but you may want to consider that B's coach isn't gonna be happy.
To be clear are you saying that the basket by A counts AND they shoot the FT? I assume that's what you are saying based off of Snagwell's response.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 08:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
To be clear are you saying that the basket by A counts AND they shoot the FT? I assume that's what you are saying based off of SnaQwell's response.
Yes, that's correct. A's rebound basket counts. A will now shoot his other free throw, and B will get the ball for an endline throwin. A got a legitimate rebound, and it wouldn't be fair to take it away from them.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 06:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Josh is right, but you may want to consider that B's coach isn't gonna be happy.
Um, no, that's the absolute last thing that you should consider when you make any proper, correct, have-to-get-right call.

Aamof, whether a coach is gonna be happy or not should never be a consideration in any call.

Never consider.....you'll go blind.

Bad choice of words imo, Snaqs......
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Um, no, that's the absolute last thing that you should consider when you make any proper, correct, have-to-get-right call.

Aamof, whether a coach is gonna be happy or not should never be a consideration in any call.

Never consider.....you'll go blind.

Bad choice of words imo, Snaqs......
I'm going to bet that Snaq didn't mean that the coach's emotion predicted by the official should have an impact on a ruling, but rather Snaq meant that a coach will have an emotion about the ruling.

Those are two different things. One is unprofessional; one is not: which is the one that most officials will clue in to.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'm going to bet that Snaq didn't mean that the coach's emotion predicted by the official should have an impact on a ruling, but rather Snaq meant that a coach will have an emotion about the ruling.
No difference....

Why should any official have to consider at anytime how any coach feels about any call?

That was my point....and I'd bet also that Snaqs didn't mean his post to convey the message that it actually did convey.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No difference....

Why should any official have to consider at anytime how any coach feels about any call?

That was my point....and I'd bet also that Snaqs didn't mean his post to convey the message that it actually did convey.
Two words ... Game Management. Getting surprised by a coach's heated reaction to a tough call can put you on your heels and leave you unprepared to handle it. In my experience, that's usually a bad thing. Recognizing that the coach is likely to react badly, and being prepared to handle it calmly and patiently usually leads to a much better result.

It's not about factoring the coach's likely reaction into making the call; it's about being aware and prepared to deal with it properly. And I'm pretty sure that's what the Snaqmaster was getting at.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:34am

Quote:
No difference....

They shouldn't. They should just call the game - iow, they should do the job they're paid to do.

Many officials will figure out soon enough, if not through a basic understanding of human nature, then through game experience, what rulings coaches typically get emotional over.

Example: a close play on a break where the block/charge ruling surrounds the official's judgment if LGP was earned, versus an easy no-brainer where LGP had roots. In the first situation, an official should not call the block or charge based on any perceived emotion that will come from one of the coaches, but the official will certainly know in his head that one of the coaches (in this example) will be emotional about the call. In the second situation, a coach that complains about the call of an opponent that had roots and drawing the PC is just being a goof.

That's the difference.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Two words ... Game Management. Getting surprised by a coach's heated reaction to a tough call can put you on your heels and leave you unprepared to handle it. In my experience, that's usually a bad thing. Recognizing that the coach is likely to react badly, and being prepared to handle it calmly and patiently usually leads to a much better result.

It's not about factoring the coach's likely reaction into making the call; it's about being aware and prepared to deal with it properly. And I'm pretty sure that's what the Snaqmaster was getting at.
Exactly.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

Two words...Bull Pucky.

The sun comes up in the east and coaches complain about calls that go against their team. It comes with the territory. If you're surprised, on your heels and unprepared to deal with it, then you've either been an official for about 48 minutes or you're in the wrong avocation to start with.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 08:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Two words...Bull Pucky.

The sun comes up in the east and coaches complain about calls that go against their team. It comes with the territory. If you're surprised, on your heels and unprepared to deal with it, then you've either been an official for about 48 minutes or you're in the wrong avocation to start with.
Jeez, you're cranky this morning. You've been a ref so long that your awareness of what's coming next is second nature. Not all refs have gotten there yet.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 08:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Two words...Bull Pucky.

Respectfully disagree. When an official makes an obvious blunder, such as this CE situation, they need to be mentally prepared to deal with a "Norv Turner" type reaction once you explain the ruling to them. We and they (officials & coaches) are human. And you cannot treat every situation as "oh, that's just a coach whining". If we f**k up we have to prepare to catch some extra flack. And there is a difference between "catching flack" and letting a coach sh!t all over you.