The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Correctable error situation?

This supposedly actually happened, although I didn't see it myself. Just want to see what people think about it.

4th quarter, 3.5 seconds remaining. Team A is leading 54-52. A1 is fouled, but not in the act of shooting. Team A is in the bonus. A1 attempts the free throw, which is unsuccessful. B5 rebounds the miss, outlets to B1 near midcourt. B1 releases a try (obviously a 3-point try). The horn sounds clearly after the ball is in flight, and the try is successful.

Team B appears to win 55-54.

Before the officials leave the court, the table informs the officials that Team B had 10 team fouls and A1 should've been awarded 2 free throws.

The officials decide that the error is correctable. They disallow the 3-point basket, put 3.5 seconds back on the clock, and award A1 the second free throw. They allow the teams to play the make or miss. A1's second free throw is unsuccessful, B5 rebounds the miss and passes to B1, but B1's heave is unsuccessful this time.

Team A wins, 54-52.

1) Was the error still correctable, since the horn had sounded to end the game?

2) If so, should the officials have negated B1's 3-point field goal?

3) If so, should the officials have put the time back on the clock?

4) If you answer "no" to any of these, what should have happened?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:04am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

Yes

No

No

I thought everything that occured prior to the correctable error being discovered stood and play resumes from POI? Shoot the FT & play OT on the make?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
This supposedly actually happened, although I didn't see it myself. Just want to see what people think about it.

4th quarter, 3.5 seconds remaining. Team A is leading 54-52. A1 is fouled, but not in the act of shooting. Team A is in the bonus. A1 attempts the free throw, which is unsuccessful. B5 rebounds the miss, outlets to B1 near midcourt. B1 releases a try (obviously a 3-point try). The horn sounds clearly after the ball is in flight, and the try is successful.

Before the officials leave the court, the table informs the officials that Team B had 10 team fouls and A1 should've been awarded 2 free throws.

The officials decide that the error is correctable. They disallow the 3-point basket, put 3.5 seconds back on the clock, and award A1 the second free throw. They allow the teams to play the make or miss. A1's second free throw is unsuccessful, B5 rebounds the miss and passes to B1, but B1's heave is unsuccessful this time.

Team A wins, 54-52.

1) Yes, it's correctable as per rule 2-10-2. The made basket at the end of the game was the first dead ball after the clock started.
2)No..as per rule 2-10-5.
3) No..as per rule 2-10-5.

Count the 3-point basket by B1. Put A1 on the line for 1 FT with no time on the clock and no one lined up on the lanes. If A1 makes the FT, OT. If A1 misses, team B wins 55-54.

It's true, it's true.....

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 11:12am.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Team A wins, 54-52.

My guess (based on my rule books being at home) is that they did it wrong.

Shoulda let A1 shoot his second FT with no time and lanes empty.
Make it for OT...miss it, and officials grab their coats and sprint to the locker room.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm gonna hafta learn to type with more than 2 fingers...
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
I'm gonna hafta learn to type with more than 2 fingers...
Depends - which two fingers are you using?

Agree with JR's and Chi1towns's responses. Iirc, the only time points would be cancelled would be if an unmerited FT was awarded, or the wrong player attempted the FT.

Scrappy, was this a HS or college game?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:37am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Agree with JR's and Chi1towns's responses.
*wow*
It's an honor just to be mentioned in the same sentence with JR. Being right, well, that's the icing on the cake. Guess I'm learning a little something.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
*wow*
It's an honor just to be mentioned in the same sentence with JR. Being right, well, that's the icing on the cake. Guess I'm learning a little something.
It's not often that you can be mentioned in the same sentence with JR AND be right.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Iirc, the only time points would be cancelled would be if an unmerited FT was awarded, or the wrong player attempted the FT.
Or FT at the wrong basket.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Team A wins, 54-52.

There was a previous thread on this game. I've searched for it, but can't locate it. If I recall the team attempting the FTs was only leading by a single point, so the three-point shot by the opponents would have given them a two point lead. Thus the merited FT that could be corrected under 2-10 would not be attempted in this case as the 4th quarter is over and it would not alter the result.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 06:46pm.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:45pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Scrappy, was this a HS or college game?
I believe it was a HS game.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Mean That I Didn't Really Foul Out? You're A Great Referee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I thought everything that occurred prior to the correctable error being discovered stood and play resumes from POI? Shoot the FT & play OT on the make?
Be careful with the above statement. The rule below doesn't apply to this specific situation, but under some circumstances fouls can be canceled, if they're not unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls.

2-10-4: If the error is a free throw by the wrong player or at the wrong basket, or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls, shall be canceled.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stripper's Dressing Room

Quote:
This supposedly actually happened.
Is this an oxymoron, like Jumbo Shrimp, Small Crowd, Nondairy Creamer, Wireless Cable, Genuine Veneer, or Government Organization?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 09:34pm.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 07:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper1
This supposedly actually happened.
Is this an oxymoron, like Jumbo Shrimp, Small Crowd, Nondairy Creamer, Wireless Cable, Genuine Veneer, or Government Organization?
LOL. I knew as soon as I wrote it that it was terrible, but I didn't feel like writing out what I actually meant. "I was told that this actually happened, but have no proof". Hey, at least I didn't say that it supposably happened!
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
.. Small Crowd...
What can't you have a small crowd? Wouldn't it depend on the context or size of the venue?

If you're a 5x5 ft room and there were 6 people in there you would have a small crowd, right?