The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

New goaltending Ncaa rule!

Goaltending 4-34.3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when that ball is touched by a player.

So no matter if the ball hits towards the bottom of the backboard and is definitely still on its way up, if it's above the rim when it's touched it is now going to be called goaltending???? makes it a lot easier on us i guess!!
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:49am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
makes it a lot easier on us i guess!!
Hopefully Fed will add it next season, seeing how fans, players & coaches think its already a rule at this level.

Coach/player: "He cant touch the ball after it hits the glass"

Official: "You're absolutely right & when he gets to the league that rule will be enforced"
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

This was actually added last season, but was unannounced and I didn't realize it until somebody on the forum here pointed it out to me near the end of the season. This year, at least they're telling everybody that it's going to change.

I think it's a terrible change, personally, but nobody asked me.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:35am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quick search turned up the thread I mentioned: ncaa rules

It's actually from May -- well after the season ended. So I went through the whole season, unaware of this change.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:37am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

So I went through the whole season unaware.
Fixed it for ya, buddy!

Oops - another inside joke. Dang it!
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

In high school ... the ball hitting the backboard on a try - it is not goaltending if the defender hits the ball until it is on the way down, correct?

In college ... as soon as the ball hits the backboard, if the defender hits the ball after that it is goaltending no matter what, correct? and this is a new rule this year?

Thanks!
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:05pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
In high school ... the ball hitting the backboard on a try - it is not goaltending if the defender hits the ball until it is on the way down, correct?
Almost. It's goaltending if it's a try and the ball is on the way down, has a chance to go in, is completely above the level of the ring, and is completely outside the cylinder.

Quote:
In college ... as soon as the ball hits the backboard, if the defender hits the ball after that it is goaltending no matter what, correct? and this is a new rule this year?
Almost. It still has to be a try, and it still has to be completely above the level of the ring. It's also unclear to me from the wording of the rule if the ball has touch the backboard above ring level; or if it can touch below ring level, but can't be blocked after that once it gets above ring level.

And this was apparently the rule last season as well.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Goaltending 4-34.3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when that ball is touched by a player.

So no matter if the ball hits towards the bottom of the backboard and is definitely still on its way up, if it's above the rim when it's touched it is now going to be called goaltending???? makes it a lot easier on us i guess!!
Hmmm, is this the exact rules quote? If so, does your assertion that if the "ball hits towards the bottom of the backboard" that meets the criteria work? Doesn't the rule specifically indicate that it only applies if the "entire ball is above the level of the ring" when it hits the backboard.

So if I read that right, a layup where the ball hits the backboard at least partially below the ring on its way up would not meet the criteria for this rule. In that case I'm guessing we're back to judging entirely based on the flight of the ball.

Am I missing something?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Good point, that is why i am asking! I would like to know how to interpret that call?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Almost. It's goaltending if it's a try and the ball is on the way down, has a chance to go in, is completely above the level of the ring, and is completely outside the cylinder.

Almost. It still has to be a try, and it still has to be completely above the level of the ring. It's also unclear to me from the wording of the rule if the ball has touch the backboard above ring level; or if it can touch below ring level, but can't be blocked after that once it gets above ring level.

And this was apparently the rule last season as well.
Not that it is a major distinction, but it is goal tending on a free throw attempt if an opponent touches the ball outside the cylinder under NF Rules.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Hmmm, is this the exact rules quote? If so, does your assertion that if the "ball hits towards the bottom of the backboard" that meets the criteria work? Doesn't the rule specifically indicate that it only applies if the "entire ball is above the level of the ring" when it hits the backboard.

So if I read that right, a layup where the ball hits the backboard at least partially below the ring on its way up would not meet the criteria for this rule. In that case I'm guessing we're back to judging entirely based on the flight of the ball.

Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything bits. It is horrible wording for the rule. Very ambiguous and makes it almost impossible to interpret! The NCAA is attempting to adopt the NBA rule but not adopt it if that makes sense?

They are attempting to reword it so its not exactly like the pro wording instead of just adopting the rule word for word and making it easier on everyone.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Looks like the Fiba rule on goaltending. cheers
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK
Looks like the Fiba rule on goaltending. cheers
But the FIBA rule on basket interference is still stupid.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I was reading that yesterday and it kind of takes all of the guess work out of goaltending......hopefully, the Feds will adopt it also.