The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Slapping the Backboard: POE

I read on the NFHS website that a point of emphasis this year is slapping the backboard but it didn't say what the emphasis was. I'm not an official and I don't have the 08/09 rulebook yet.

Is there something new?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
I read on the NFHS website that a point of emphasis this year is slapping the backboard but it didn't say what the emphasis was. I'm not an official and I don't have the 08/09 rulebook yet.

Is there something new?
Directly from the NFHS website (http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...mments_POE.pdf)

SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

-Josh
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

What a revelation!! Other than telling us that the number of incidents is increasing, all they did was quote the rule and case books. WHy even bother?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

When there is a POE is it simply to re-emphasize the existing rule or is there sometimes a wording change?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A POE is issued to simply re-emphasize a rule the committee feels isn't being enforced enough.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
I read on the NFHS website that a point of emphasis this year is slapping the backboard but it didn't say what the emphasis was.
Good time to destroy another myth:

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
A POE is issued to simply re-emphasize a rule the committee feels isn't being enforced enough.
They've done little more than waste their breath. What exactly is it that the committee wants? Are we not calling enough of these? Are we calling too many? Are we misapplying the rule in some way? What is their point?

'Cuz I find exactly NO guidance in this POE to help me improve my understanding or calling of this pernicious and pervasive offense.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When there is a POE is it simply to re-emphasize the existing rule or is there sometimes a wording change?
A POE is meant to emphasize an existing rule. They will sometimes elaborate on the intent of the rule. They will sometimes enumerate specific instances they want to see called more consistently. They will sometimes use different words. But the intent is always to emphasize the existing rule.

The committee never, ever, under any circumstances changes a rule in a POE. Except when occasionally they do
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

It's a useful point of emphasis because so many coaches and officials get it wrong. I spoke to a d1 official who took the position (until referred to the rule book) that under NFHS rules, a defensive player slapping the backboard on the side opposite from a shot is basket interference. A high school coach insisted that slapping the backboard must always be a technical foul. His point of reference was a state playoff game ruling and discussion. I wish these were isolated cases, but in my discussions with fellow officials and coaches they are not.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Directly from the NFHS website (http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...mments_POE.pdf)

SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

-Josh
I have a copy of the new rules book and that is the exact wording given in the POE on page 69.
Additionally, the text of the actual rule (10-3-4b) has not changed for this coming season.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 07:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

I've seen the NFHS powerpoint on the new rules and POEs. And one of the slides shows a player hitting the backboard on the opposite side from where the shot was taken. When there is obviously no play on the ball, I guess they feel that we aren't calling it enough.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

If the ball is in or above the cylinder when the backboard is slapped and it causes it to shake out, couldn't that be called basket interference?
"Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6)."
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
If the ball is in or above the cylinder when the backboard is slapped and it causes it to shake out, couldn't that be called basket interference?
In a word, no.

The answer is in the very definition you quoted:

Quote:
"Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6)."
The only way to have BI is to touch the ball or the basket in certain situations. The backboard is neither the ball nor the basket. Therefore, it's never BI.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
In a word, no.

The answer is in the very definition you quoted:

The only way to have BI is to touch the ball or the basket in certain situations. The backboard is neither the ball nor the basket. Therefore, it's never BI.
Agreed, impossible to have BI when someone slaps the backboard

-Josh
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
You can't ignore this wording:

The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations.