The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question Question about Backcourt

I was playing with some friends the other day and this came up. The ball was already established in the frontcourt, and was passed to a player running in from the backcourt. He jumped from the backcourt, caught the ball, landed in the frontcourt. Is this a violation?

I thought it was, but others insisted it was not. I thought you had to have your feet down in the front court first. Anyway, couldn't find anything explicit in the nba rules about this situation.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

It's a backcourt violation as soon as he touches the ball while airborne. By rule, even though he is airborne, he is considered to be where he was last in contact with the court, and that is in the backcourt in your play. Your buddies owe you a beer.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef
It's a backcourt violation as soon as he touches the ball while airborne. By rule, even though he is airborne, he is considered to be where he was last in contact with the court, and that is in the backcourt in your play. Your buddies owe you a beer.
That's exactly what I thought. Any idea where I could find this in the rulebook? (They won't surrender that beer without hard evidence )
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka347
That's exactly what I thought. Any idea where I could find this in the rulebook? (They won't surrender that beer without hard evidence )
I don't know about the NBA book, but in FED you can derive it from the definitions of ball location and player location
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If we gave you the hard evidence how would you be able to prove it? Unless you are an official, giving you numbers with dashes (or rules references) are not going to mean much to you.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was playing with some friends the other day and this came up. The ball was already established in the frontcourt, and was passed to a player running in from the backcourt. He jumped from the backcourt, caught the ball, landed in the frontcourt. Is this a violation?

I thought it was, but others insisted it was not. I thought you had to have your feet down in the front court first. Anyway, couldn't find anything explicit in the nba rules about this situation.
As long as one foot is still in the air (as opposed to still being on the floor in the BC), only one foot needs to be down in the FC to be legal. Your buddy committed a violation, but hey, it's pickup ball.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If we gave you the hard evidence how would you be able to prove it? Unless you are an official, giving you numbers with dashes (or rules references) are not going to mean much to you.

Peace
Not really sure what is meant here... Obviously pointing them to an nba rulebook is better proof than me just saying it's so.

I did find this nba rule:
4.VI.c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.

This doesn't help that much since it's unclear what "touching the backcourt" means, especially when a player is in the air.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As I am not smart enough to quote the books or cite a paragraph number, etc., I always explain it this way:

If you are on the court and jumping to save a ball that is going out of bounds and you jump and touch the ball while you are in the air, you are not out of bounds until you land or touch something out of bounds.

Same applies for this situation: If you are in the backcourt and jumping to the frontcourt and you jump and hit/catch the ball while you are in the air, you are not in the frontcourt until you land in the frontcourt.

Most understand the analogy.

As always - "you are where you are, until you get where you're going"

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Aug 27, 2008 at 01:54pm.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
As I am not smart enough to quote the books or cite a paragraph number, etc., I always explain it this way:

If you are on the court and jumping to save a ball that is going out of bounds and you jump and touch the ball while you are in the air, you are not out of bounds until you land or touch something out of bounds.

Same goes for this situation: If you are in the backcourt and jumping to the frontcourt and you jump and hit/catch the ball while you are in the air, you are not in the frontcourt until you land in the frontcourt.

As always - "you are where you are, until you get where you're going"
Ah, that's a good comparison. Thanks!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you're trying to win a beer, you need to look for the player location definition.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If you're trying to win a beer, you need to look for the player location definition.
Yeah that's what I was looking for but couldn't find...
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules:
Rule 4 Section 35.....Specifically Artical 3

SECTION 35 PLAYER LOCATION
ART. 1 . . . The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where the player is touching the floor as far as being:

a. Inbounds or out of bounds.
b. In the frontcourt or backcourt.
c. Outside (behind/beyond) or inside the three-point field-goal line.

ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively.

ART. 3 . . . The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors of Article 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not really sure what is meant here... Obviously pointing them to an nba rulebook is better proof than me just saying it's so.

I did find this nba rule:
4.VI.c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.

This doesn't help that much since it's unclear what "touching the backcourt" means, especially when a player is in the air.
To be honest with you, most of us are not NBA Officials. We really do not have the NBA Rulebook in most of our back pockets. And without you identifying yourself as an official, it is hard to know how to answer your question so that you can prove you were correct. I am not familiar with the specifics of the NBA Rulebook, but you might want to look at anything that talks about player location and look up anything that might have a case play. Unfortunately, I do not know if the NBA has such a thing to give interpretations.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 02:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

You are where you were until you get where you're going.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Why do you want an NBA rule citation--Do you play in the NBAor pro-league? If you are not a professional player, you should be using NCAA or HS/Federation rules