The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

A=OFFENSE B=DEFENSE

hello

A has the ball in the frontcourt for a throw in the ball touches A2 hands and goes into the backcourt; is this a back court violation?

thanks

tim

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

No
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

No.

Even if A2 had caught it and then it went into the BC, it's not a violation.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
They're yanking yer chain a little, Tim. You never said that anybody touched after it went into the backcourt. So there's no violation. . . yet.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
They're yanking yer chain a little, Tim. You never said that anybody touched after it went into the backcourt. So there's no violation. . . yet.
But even if A3 touches it in the backcourt, we still have no violation because there is no team control on a throw-in and a touch by A2 doesn't equate to team control either.

Z
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

On Throw-In

Had this one Fri Night
White in-bounding under own basket--can't get it in so launches it towards top of key to W2--W2 deflects ball into BC--no one else touches it--W2 runs after ball and taps it [not trying to retrieve or control it, just giving up on it] then W2 just backs off, Blue team grabs ball and goes for easy lay-up.

No team control on throw-in; no team control established by deflection by W2; no violation by 1st touch in BC by W2; no call; easy bucket for Blue; lesson learned for White team regarding BC violations..

Coach not happy with W2 for giving up on ball and not playing thru to a whistle.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
A=OFFENSE B=DEFENSE

hello

A has the ball in the frontcourt for a throw in the ball touches A2 hands and goes into the backcourt; is this a back court violation?

thanks

tim

When I had this is a game last week, the other coach came up to me at the end of the quarter and asked why it wasn't a violation. Since he had been a pretty decent guy that night, I decided to explain the entire situation. I took a deep breath and started with the four elements needed to have a violation, then explained there is no team control during a throw-in, then went on to how team control is established by establishing player control and then went over the the definition of player control. I summed up by stating that if even one element is missing, there is no violation.

The explanation took about one full minute. He looked like a deer caught in headlights. Finally, he said to me, "You're one of them rules junkies, ain't ya?"