The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 09:01am
This IS My Social Life

Is This a False Multiple Foul?

NFHS Rules Question:

A1 fouls B1 for A's sixth team foul. Before ball is put at B1's disposal for throw in, A2 fouls B2 (not intentionally nor flagrantly) for A's seventh team foul.

Question #1: Is this a False Multiple Foul situation?

Question #2: Since each foul must carry its own penalty, is it correct to clear the lane for B2's one-and-one, then return to nearest point of the first foul for B's throw in, the consequence of the A1's earlier sixth team foul?
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
NFHS Rules Question:

A1 fouls B1 for A's sixth team foul. Before ball is put at B1's disposal for throw in, A2 fouls B2 (not intentionally nor flagrantly) for A's seventh team foul.

Question #2: Since each foul must carry its own penalty, is it correct to clear the lane for B2's one-and-one, then return to nearest point of the first foul for B's throw in, the consequence of the A1's earlier sixth team foul?
First, your premise is wrong. If the ball is dead, then there can't be a foul unless it is intentional or flagrant. If the foul is intentional or flagrant during a dead ball, it's a tehnical foul, not a personal foul.

So let's assume that B1 does have the ball at his disposal.

Question #1: Yes.

Question #2: No, it is not. A's sixth team foul is history, over with. The game continues with B2 shooting 1 & 1.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 16, 2008 at 09:25am.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 04:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
NFHS Rules Question:

Nope, it's nothing. You wouldn't call this foul; period. As BktBallRef notes, it can't be called, by rule, during a dead ball unless it's intentional or flagrant. Therefore, it's a no-call.

Tell them to knock it off, and get the ball in play.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 12:19pm
This IS My Social Life

Seeking Further Understanding on F.M.F.

Thanks, guys, for your responses. I understand your points, especially your reference to the 4-19-1 NOTE, which states, in part, "Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant...".

What I'm unclear of, and seek your attempts at helping me to understand more fully, is the application of that in view of the statement found in 10-6-rule 10 Summary point 7., which states, "In case of a...false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty."

What penalty, if any, is issued or carried out for the first foul committed? The reward of the ball OB seems to have been negated by the consequence of the second foul. My reason says, clear the lane for the 1 and 1, then return to the previous spot to administer an OB opportunity merited by the first of the two fouls committed.

Would that be the order of things if the second foul was committed after the ball was put at the disposal of the thrower, but not before, perhaps?

My reason, of course, must fit within the stated rules.

Your normally reasoned response is, as always, appreciated.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 12:22pm.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for your responses. I understand your points, especially your reference to the 4-19-1 NOTE, which states, in part, "Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant...".

What I'm unclear of, and seek your attempts at helping me to understand more fully, is the application of that in view of the statement found in 10-6-rule 10 Summary point 7., which states, "In case of a...false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty."

What penalty, if any, is issued or carried out for the first foul committed? The reward of the ball OB seems to have been negated by the consequence of the second foul. My reason says, clear the lane for the 1 and 1, then return to the previous spot to administer an OB opportunity merited by the first of the two fouls committed.
In case of a false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty does not mean that B gets the ball back. There's nothing in the rules that supports that. You simply move to the next penalty.

Let's say the first foul is the 5th team foul and the next is the 6th team foul. Are you going to give the ball to B for two throw-ins? Of course not.

Quote:
Would that be the order of things if the second foul was committed after the ball was put at the disposal of the thrower, but not before, perhaps?
I gave you that ruling when I changed your original play above.

Let's changed the play again.

The first foul is the 7th team foul. Now, B1 goes to the line for 1 & 1. While the ball is at B1's disposal, A2 fouls B2. Now, you clear the lane and B1 shoots his 1 & 1 with no one on the lane. THen, B2 shoots his 1 & 1 as normal.

BTW, when offering plays, A should always be offense and B is always defense.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My reason, of course, must fit within the stated rules.

Your normally reasoned response is, as always, appreciated.
You can't go back and award the throw-in penalty for the first foul because of this NFHS rule:

RULE 8, SECTION 7 PENALTY-ADMINISTRATION SEQUENCE
Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred.

That would conflict with what you desire to do.