The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Varsity summer league- 1st year

Hi everyone-

Just completed my first year in IAABO course, will be taking certification exam in November. We are in South Jersey, and I am experiencing some first year summer bad habits from adult leagues and AAU multiple game days...

Anyway, I've been participating in a local varsity summer league (approved of by my assignor) and am looking for some input. The league is using 3 man crews (which I have not been taught) and I am usually partnered with 2 other varsity guys who are experienced in 3 man mechanics.

So, I've done a few games now, and believe I have a good handle on the areas of responsibility and general rotations. My problem is that I am concentrating so much on not messing up the rotation or reaching into another's area, (as well as trying not to look like an a** in front of varsity staff) that I'm not making that many calls, and I'm missing some. In general, I'm thinking too much.

My partners have been great, and have all told me to "just ref the game" and that I'm picking up a lot on the fly- just concentrate on the calls.

Any advice out there? I don't have a problem with the level of play, its more the new mechanic (at least its new for me) and trying not to reach across my areas.

A long post, I know, but thanks for the input. I have found a lot of useful information here over the past several months. Looking forward to contributing in the future.

Thanks
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

[quote=zeedonk]Hi everyone-

Just completed my first year in IAABO course, will be taking certification exam in November. We are in South Jersey, and I am experiencing some first year summer bad habits from adult leagues and AAU multiple game days...

Anyway, I've been participating in a local varsity summer league (approved of by my assignor) and am looking for some input. The league is using 3 man crews (which I have not been taught) and I am usually partnered with 2 other varsity guys who are experienced in 3 man mechanics.

So, I've done a few games now, and believe I have a good handle on the areas of responsibility and general rotations. My problem is that I am concentrating so much on not messing up the rotation or reaching into another's area, (as well as trying not to look like an a** in front of varsity staff) that I'm not making that many calls, and I'm missing some. In general, I'm thinking too much.

My partners have been great, and have all told me to "just ref the game" and that I'm picking up a lot on the fly- just concentrate on the calls.

Any advice out there? I don't have a problem with the level of play, its more the new mechanic (at least its new for me) and trying not to reach across my areas.

A long post, I know, but thanks for the input. I have found a lot of useful information here over the past several months. Looking forward to contributing in the future.

Your partners are great in telling you to just call the game. You do that they will assist you into getting in the correct position. Relax and have fun. It will come together.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

My basic recommendation.

My advice it to see plays. You do not need to worry about impressing anyone at this point. You just need to see more and more plays. It is clearly about repetition and really nothing more. What makes a good official is to be able to see the same play over and over and call similar plays consistently. Basketball is one of the fastest and hardest games to referee. You cannot take a detour in experience without seeing plays over and over. There are even rules you will not completely understand until you see the play over and over again. Just work hard. Work as many games as you possibly can. Try to avoid games where bad habits are encouraged (like many AAU, Wreck ball or any level where you partner and participants do not take your mechanics seriously). But if you have not many choices, working is better than not working.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what the others have said. I think all of us felt the same way at some point when learning 3 man. Officiate the game and call what you see first. Your partners sound like they know the game well enough to talk about coverage areas and mechanics at half-time and post-game.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When the ball is live, focus on the game and making the right calls. Your partners will help you get to the right spot during dead balls. They don't expect you to have that down, so don't be afraid to mess that part up. This experience is to work on your judgment and basic mechanics.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
My advice it to see plays. You do not need to worry about impressing anyone at this point. You just need to see more and more plays.
Agree 100%
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the advice.

One of the reasons I asked to be assigned these games was to be able to get some experience seeing things at the varsity level. I did some varsity scrimmages prior to the beginning of last season, and during the school year, worked my way up to the "R" during higher level (I think) JV games.

As I may not see any V games this coming year, I want to work on the game management part of officiating (coaches, players and spectator/parents) this upcoming season and am hoping that the whole thing comes together by the end of the year. We'll see.

Z
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
I want to work on the game management part of officiating (coaches, players and spectator/parents) this upcoming season and am hoping that the whole thing comes together by the end of the year.
It will come together. As Rutledge suggested, keep working.

The part in red though ... your game management skills don't include spectator/parents. Just learn to tune all of that out and grow some thick skin, if you haven't done so already. If a spectator/parent has crossed the line though, get the site manager to deal with them.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 08:59pm
This IS My Social Life

New to 3-man...Mental/Visual Mind-Shift

One possible thought: don't prioritize worrying about whether you're in the right position, that will come. Rather, make it a priority to immediately identify the area you are to cover from the position you arrive at. Do this by quickly tracing the boundaries of that area with your eyes when you arrive at that position, then observe the play in that area both on-ball when in that area but especially off-ball when the ball is in your partners' area.
Do that every time you arrive at any of the three typical positions, T, C, or L. Do that every time you rotate.
Think "area to cover" first and foremost, not "Where am I supposed to be?"
This will help you make the calls you need to make in your area. The rotation mechanics will come over time. Probably quicker than you think.
Hope this makes sense. Others' valuable insights will likely assist you better. Check out their advise and put it all together.
But this is the slight mind-shift that helped me get over the hump that lies before you.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I hear you on the spectator/parent issue, and I agree. I have engaged in no discussions with parents/spectators this year. I have seen and heard many of my varsity mentors describe handling and/or removing these folks and this is just not something I want to get involved with. Once you go into the stands, you can't come back....

Comments from the peanut gallery don't affect me, generally. I don't acknowledge them because 99% of the time they are wrong. In that 1% where maybe I could have made a call but didn't, I go with my gut. I'm confident with my calls and loud enough to sell it in a noisy gym, so I have no worries with a weak whistle or timid call.

I have been gradually moving towards taking less guff from coaches and zero guff from players. For me, it seems to be a matter of how much you are willing to put up with. I am sure I put up with too much, but it I ring somebody up, I want to be sure that he or she earned it.

As the summer has gone on, I think that will change soon...
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Trust your partners. Trust your partners. Trust your partners.

Just see the plays that are in your area and ref the game. Simplify everything. Since it sounds like you have the rotations down, just simplify things as best you can.