View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Varsity summer league- 1st year

Hi everyone-

Just completed my first year in IAABO course, will be taking certification exam in November. We are in South Jersey, and I am experiencing some first year summer bad habits from adult leagues and AAU multiple game days...

Anyway, I've been participating in a local varsity summer league (approved of by my assignor) and am looking for some input. The league is using 3 man crews (which I have not been taught) and I am usually partnered with 2 other varsity guys who are experienced in 3 man mechanics.

So, I've done a few games now, and believe I have a good handle on the areas of responsibility and general rotations. My problem is that I am concentrating so much on not messing up the rotation or reaching into another's area, (as well as trying not to look like an a** in front of varsity staff) that I'm not making that many calls, and I'm missing some. In general, I'm thinking too much.

My partners have been great, and have all told me to "just ref the game" and that I'm picking up a lot on the fly- just concentrate on the calls.

Any advice out there? I don't have a problem with the level of play, its more the new mechanic (at least its new for me) and trying not to reach across my areas.

A long post, I know, but thanks for the input. I have found a lot of useful information here over the past several months. Looking forward to contributing in the future.

Thanks