The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
About a two weeks ago, my coach from my highschool called and asked me if I would be interested in calling some games for the Summer League he was putting on. I said, "sure, what not."

To start things off they have me calling with a senior who although is a good player is NOT a good official. This guy shows up in baggy jeans, shirt, and "bling-bling" as he likes to call it.

When the ball is at blues basket, this guy is at reds basket, watching from back there.

Secondly, yesterday I could only do one game due to having something else to do. When I left the gym after my first game there was players outside who were talking very rudely to me.

My attitude to this is that I only get paid 10 and this is NOT enough to be putting up with all of this. Am I wrong for thinking this? What would you do in this situation?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Personally I would have never accepted these games.

But since you've already did, you say its not worth the money. Just use ECON101

If the cost outweights the benefit then don't do it.

Just don't take anymore of these games. Things I have learned, I personally do not accept games that I think are going to be unorganized or for a league I do not know who my partner is going to be. I also do not work any adult leagues and eventually will stop working any type of rec ball.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

During my game yesterday the following play occurred. The same play happened during the season last year. When I made the cal,l of course, I was wrong :-p.

A1 inbounds the ball and then A2 takes it down the court. A2 crosses the half-court line and then goes to pass it to A1 who has not fully crossed the half court line.. Beep-- back court violation. Coach and crowd goes wild.

Only this time, I didnÂ’t have a real official there to chuckle with me like I had for that game during the season.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
During my game yesterday the following play occurred. The same play happened during the season last year. When I made the cal,l of course, I was wrong :-p.

A1 inbounds the ball and then A2 takes it down the court. A2 crosses the half-court line and then goes to pass it to A1 who has not fully crossed the half court line.. Beep-- back court violation. Coach and crowd goes wild.

Only this time, I didnÂ’t have a real official there to chuckle with me like I had for that game during the season.
Doesn't compare to the great observation I got the other day from a summer league coach in the 1st couple minutes:

"Hey, that's a carry, the ball came loose and hit his leg, that wasn't incidental."

It took me a couple times down the court before I could comprehend what he said and chuckled to myself. I guess he wanted a carry, then mid-sentence realized the ball was loose, so he cried for a kick ball. At least he shut up when I told him to calm down.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 inbounds the ball and then A2 takes it down the court. A2 crosses the half-court line and then goes to pass it to A1 who has not fully crossed the half court line..
Please more clearly describe A1's position at the time he touched A2's pass.

And, Mr. Grammar Person wants to know what A1 does when he "goes to pass" the ball. Does he actually pass the ball? Does he move to a different position on the court? Does he travel?

Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I also do not work any adult leagues and eventually will stop working any type of rec ball.
Snake-eyes, I'm curious.

How long have you been officiating?
What level are you at?
What is the highest level you hope to achieve?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
A1 inbounds the ball and then A2 takes it down the court. A2 crosses the half-court line and then goes to pass it to A1 who has not fully crossed the half court line..

And, Mr. Grammar Person wants to know what A1 does when he "goes to pass" the ball. Does he actually pass the ball? Does he move to a different position on the court? Does he travel?

He was in the air coming from the back court and hadnÂ’t came across the half-court line.

For the other question; he actually passed the ball.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

He was in the air coming from the back court and hadnÂ’t came across the half-court line.
Are you implying that if he was in the air coming from the back court but "had came" across the half-court line, the ruling would be different?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

in that instance he can touch the ball

once he establishes position in the front court -- by getting his dang feet to hit the floor then catching the ball -- if it happens like that then no backcourt of course shall be called
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Are you implying that if he was in the air coming from the back court but "had came" across the half-court line, the ruling would be different?
Bob, that's like asking if God could make a rock so big that God couldn't move it!
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For the other question; he actually passed the ball.
You have me confused too. If A2 had established front court position and A1 had not when he touched the pass, then it is a violation. Were you saying you kicked the call and had no one to laugh with or were you sarcastically saying that you got the call wrong?

Good to be back after a long hiatous. I've relocated to New Mexico. It's tough starting out in a new association but now that I've retired from the Air Force, hopefully I won't have to move that often. I brought a letter from my previous association and the new association wanted to see the test scores for my placement. Appears as if they go by the test scores over experience. Funny, they have an open book test here. How hard is it to score well on the open-book NFHS Test! This goes to the old lenghty discussions on the value of rules knowledge (not that I would open the can of worms or anything )

Mregor
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Bob, that's like asking if God could make a rock so big that God couldn't move it!
Doggone it Juulie, I'm going nuts trying to figure out the sound one hand clapping would make, and now you introduce yet another one of these metaphysical questions!?!?!?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I also do not work any adult leagues and eventually will stop working any type of rec ball.
Snake-eyes, I'm curious.

How long have you been officiating?
What level are you at?
What is the highest level you hope to achieve?
Finished up my 3rd year
Right now I officiate HS
And I plan to officiate D1 basketball

Anymore quesitons?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

[/B] [/QUOTE]

You have me confused too. If A2 had established front court position and A1 had not when he touched the pass, then it is a violation. Were you saying you kicked the call and had no one to laugh with or were you sarcastically saying that you got the call wrong?

Mregor [/B][/QUOTE]

A2 had established front court position. When A1 saw the pass coming, he jumped in the air and cought the ball before establishing front-court position. At this point and time he still had a back-court status. I hope this helps. Also, yes, I was being sarcastic when I said I kicked the call.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Hey! Metaphysics discussions are for the "General" forum.