The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Many of the high schools teams down here in FL particpiate in summer leagues. These games cannot be coached by the Varsity coaches so they are generally coached by the JV coaches. Anywho...There have been several situations where I have T'd players up for language, hanging on the rims, etc...Some of my partners will actually tell me to let that stuff go b/c it's "summer league," I've only been doing this for four years but feel as though these players should not be allowed to get away with this just because it's "summer league." Am I doing the right thing here???
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

My dad always told me, "you practice like you play". I believe that to be true so I enforce everything in the summer the same as I do the winter. If I don't, I am letting the players learn bad habits that they'll use in the winter.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb There really is no right or wrong here.

Every situation is different. Because summer leagues are usually a bit more laid back, I do tend to talk to the players and coaches more. I will talk to them a bit more so they understand the game. I will talk them out of silly Technicals and other silly fouls if I can. But I am also there to call what happens. Obviously, summer leagues do not have the same regime as other games during pre-game and halftime activities. But I will tell the players to stay off the rims during warmups and act much more informal during player and coach interactions. But when the game is within the white lines, I call it pretty much the way I would during the season. And if kids/players get ancy I will take longer and be more tolerant of their behavior, but make a point at the same time.

I think also as a factor, what are other officials doing in your area. Now some of what you do is going to be based on what is common in your area. You do not want to be a maverick if everyone around you is doing something else. Now that does not mean that you just blindly follow what the group does, but if you are the only one calling pregame administrative Ts, then you might want to be sure not to go it alone.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Thanks for your input
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
Many of the high schools teams down here in FL particpiate in summer leagues. These games cannot be coached by the Varsity coaches so they are generally coached by the JV coaches. Anywho...There have been several situations where I have T'd players up for language, hanging on the rims, etc...Some of my partners will actually tell me to let that stuff go b/c it's "summer league," I've only been doing this for four years but feel as though these players should not be allowed to get away with this just because it's "summer league." Am I doing the right thing here???
Well, for starters, if you're talking about games you did in the last month, it should be called Fall Ball. Summer ends in most states on September 21. If you call it summer, you confuse the rest of us.

Other than that, I'd ask whoever is making the assignments what they want. Do what is expected. And don't let blue language or rough play go, especially when they are accompanied by anger or frustration.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Practice makes PERMANENT

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
My dad always told me, "you practice like you play". I believe that to be true so I enforce everything in the summer the same as I do the winter. If I don't, I am letting the players learn bad habits that they'll use in the winter.
We've likely all heard the the tried statement that "Practice makes perfect." I have a contention with this statement... it doesn't make you perfect if you practice the wrong stuff. (Not that anyone could ever be perfect anyway.)

Not only are you allowing the kids to "permanentize" these wrong antics, you are possibly also making some wrong officiating judgements permanent for yourself. And in a more important contest, with its split second decisions, you may very well pass on a call... just as you did all summer/fall. OOooops. Another bad habit to break.

JMHO, But be cautious with stretching the latitude of the rules; it may effect your own performance during more important games.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am weird but I think that you could call more technicals, intentionals in the summer rather than regular season. The reason I say that is because, in the summer they are not playing for the state championship. Also if you make those calls in the summer, they will remember you in the regular season and you may not have to make those calls. Just my opinion
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I would be tighter on the hanging on the rim just because these are unofficial games and these kids tear up HS gyms with no real repercussions. Usually neither team is in their own gym and won't have to pay for the damage they do. Just my thoughts.