The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 04:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Bottom line: I cannot envision the situation where scoring for the other team, intentionally or otherwise, would result in a technical foul.
It would need to be accompanied by some other actions or words, or it would have to be the culmination of other things. Would I be likely to call it? Not unless the situation was extreme and warranted it.

But I can envision it. Kids can get creative with this stuff.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
I took it to be celebratory and a bit taunting, then, to take a last-minute layup at your opponent's basket. It wasn't the right context for a T but it did seem arguable. I don't think the coach had anything to do with it, just the players inbounding the ball realizing they could not score at their own basket in time, so they put the ball into the opponent's goal. It made me wonder about under what circumstances a T might be a correct call, if ever... probably would have to be accompanied by some other gestures.
It seems more celebratory to me. Sounds like a word to the coach might be in order, but since I'd be bee-lining for the door at the buzzer, I doubt I'd say anything.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not The Bay State ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Sounds like a word to the coach might be in order, but since I'd be bee-lining for the door at the buzzer, I doubt I'd say anything.
You mean you didn't hang around to watch the postgame handshake? I bet the game wasn't in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do You Count The Basket ???

Quote:
It seems more celebratory to me.
Rookies take note. If the ball is shot before the buzzer goes off, but doesn't enter the basket until after the buzzer sounds, the basket doesn't count, because it's not a legal try. And, of course, if a player is confused enough to foul the shooter ... Never mind, my head is starting to hurt.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 06:27pm.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 08:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It would need to be accompanied by some other actions or words, or it would have to be the culmination of other things. Would I be likely to call it? Not unless the situation was extreme and warranted it.

But I can envision it. Kids can get creative with this stuff.

Exactly. I think even if the team was offended by the shot, in and of itself, the two points would be compensation enough. If the shooter yells, "Here's two points for you, ya bunch of losers," this would warrant a technical whether the shot is actually taken or not.

Lonesome Dove