The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking Caught One in the Brain Bucket......

Yesterday, B12 Rec game. Small court. Benches close to sidelines. A setting up what is a pretty good (really), patient, half-court, set offense and going through their dribbles and passes. B settles into a 2-1-2 zone. I'm T in two-man. Ball passing around perimeter, I'm busy counting closely guarded, stopping, starting, etc.

Ball passes from A1 at top of key to A2 on my wing.....B1 suddenly steps out and quickly pokes the pass away...which was apparently traveling at a good rate of speed and now flies about 10 feet and hits me square in the forehead.....

I shook it off. B1 however was miffed that I "got in the way" of his steal, which, IMO would have gone out of bounds if I wasn't there anyhow. A got the ball back and went about its business (no, they didn't score).

I know a previous recent post we talked of refs falling down or tripping. Anyone else been "in the wrong place" on the court lately?

Editorial comment - I was going to ask if anyone else had been "nailed" lately, but quickly realized what comments would have been posted......not that this verbiage is any better!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lead in an 8th grade boys game. Gym two sizes too small with a restraining line, dual backcourt lines and about 1 foot from endline to a padded (thank God) wall. Trying to watch for contact underneath in a rebounding situation when the ball comes flying out right off my noggin. Absolutely no room to react.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Feel Bad About It, But ...

I've stopped balls from going out of bounds, set screens for players (hopefully legal), and deflected passes. It's a fast moving game, surprising things happen, and sometimes we're in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Sat night - VB game. Trail in 2 person. Skip pass intended on going to corner but D post player takes a good swing and bats ball (open hand) towards me. I had a little time so I took step towards sideline. A1 and B1 are charging after the ball. A1 trips and ended up taking me out at the knees. I faceplant onto the court.

I hear ball bouncing and coach yelling something like "come on call a foul". Next thing I hear is ***'t coaches laughing and trying to tell HC that I couldn't make a call because all I could see were the lines on the court, knees and elbows. When I was able to get up - he just kind of grinned at me. We came out at the half to see half his players with towels on their knees wiping the floor. Partner asked if something had been spilled. He smiled at me and said they were just trying to "rub down the lines" as some must have been too high to step over.

We all had a good laugh. I just know this is going to haunt me some more this season.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

First game of a Varsity Girls/Boys Double Header I was tossing the opening tip. Both girls went up tipped once and then tipped again right down on my nose. I was physically fine, but mentally I don't think I checked back in until halftime of the boys' game.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

"Swing It!!"

I'm lead, boys 7th graders running their offense, ball in the far corner, works its way around to ft line extended, player swings it to .... no one .... except me. Made my best dodgeball evasion move but alas, got me on the hip. OOB. Took me a second or two to blow my whistle, though.

I was open, I guess.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
I'm lead, boys 7th graders running their offense, ball in the far corner, works its way around to ft line extended, player swings it to .... no one .... except me. Made my best dodgeball evasion move but alas, got me on the hip. OOB. Took me a second or two to blow my whistle, though.

I was open, I guess.
Here in Ontario we previously wore greys. Without question, once a year (or more) a player would pass me the ball. It's been 3 seasons (I think) since my local went to stripes and how many times have I been passed to since? None.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Yesterday, B12 Rec game. Small court. Benches close to sidelines. A setting up what is a pretty good (really), patient, half-court, set offense and going through their dribbles and passes. B settles into a 2-1-2 zone. I'm T in two-man. Ball passing around perimeter, I'm busy counting closely guarded, stopping, starting, etc.

Ball passes from A1 at top of key to A2 on my wing.....B1 suddenly steps out and quickly pokes the pass away...which was apparently traveling at a good rate of speed and now flies about 10 feet and hits me square in the forehead.....

I shook it off. B1 however was miffed that I "got in the way" of his steal, which, IMO would have gone out of bounds if I wasn't there anyhow. A got the ball back and went about its business (no, they didn't score).

I know a previous recent post we talked of refs falling down or tripping. Anyone else been "in the wrong place" on the court lately?

Editorial comment - I was going to ask if anyone else had been "nailed" lately, but quickly realized what comments would have been posted......not that this verbiage is any better!
If you were inbounds, I hope that you didn't blow the whistle and kill the play. That ball should still be live.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

womens' D2 game.

visitors take the lead with under 10 seconds to play.

Full court pressure -- I'm new lead, but with 10 players in the backcourt I'm positioned around the mid-court stripe.

As the home team breaks the pressure, I take off for the baseline, running while looking back over my shoulder, get about 15 feet from the baseline and crash into home team player who was running a "curl route" hoping for a long pass.

The bruise on my knee looked like a softball by the time we got into the locker room.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSams
womens' D2 game.

visitors take the lead with under 10 seconds to play.

Full court pressure -- I'm new lead, but with 10 players in the backcourt I'm positioned around the mid-court stripe.

As the home team breaks the pressure, I take off for the baseline, running while looking back over my shoulder, get about 15 feet from the baseline and crash into home team player who was running a "curl route" hoping for a long pass.

The bruise on my knee looked like a softball by the time we got into the locker room.
Any bruise on the ego?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Any bruise on the ego?
I don't know about LSams, but my ego just lives in a constant state of black and blue from posting around here.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If you were inbounds, I hope that you didn't blow the whistle and kill the play. That ball should still be live.
He doesn't mention blowing it dead. You might be reading something into "A got the ball back......" I read this as A was lucky enough to get the rebound from the "brain bucket".
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
He doesn't mention blowing it dead. You might be reading something into "A got the ball back......" I read this as A was lucky enough to get the rebound from the "brain bucket".
DBL - you are correct. Ball bounced off my noggin and was recovered by A2. No whistle. Play on......
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Girls JV slipped while reversing direction on water from the previous TO. Tried to make the recovery look cool, but didn't work.

Tight gym during a VB game. Handed the ball to the thrower for 3rd Q and backed out of the way, into the stands and had a seat.

Following a throw in on the baseline, JHG, I was following the play at a distance when the dribbler stopped and reversed quicker than me, I think I leap frogged her, but no contact, no foul.....
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Lucky I didn't get arrested..........

Frosh girls, opening tip. I toss the ball and A1 got tangled in B1's feet (who won the tap) and stumbled into me before I could move. We both hit the floor with her ending up on top of me............