The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Question

Time is winding down and Team A is down by two points when player A1 ends his dribble 2 feet inside the Three point arc while B1&B2 are double teaming him. A1 then realizes that there are 2 seconds left on the clock and he takes 1 full stride backwards and on one foot he fires up a prayer from behind the three point line and it goes through the basket as the final horn sounds.

Situation A : A-1 lifted the pivot foot as he stepped back behind the arc but the pivot never touched the floor again as he took the shot.

Situation B : A-1 dragged the pivot foot as he stepped back behind the arc and then lifted the pivot as the shot was being taken.

Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Time is winding down and Team A is down by two points when player A1 ends his dribble 2 feet inside the Three point arc while B1&B2 are double teaming him. A1 then realizes that there are 2 seconds left on the clock and he takes 1 full stride backwards and on one foot he fires up a prayer from behind the three point line and it goes through the basket as the final horn sounds.

Situation A : A-1 lifted the pivot foot as he stepped back behind the arc but the pivot never touched the floor again as he took the shot.

*** Three points, Team A wins

Situation B : A-1 dragged the pivot foot as he stepped back behind the arc and then lifted the pivot as the shot was being taken.

*** Tweet, Traveling violation.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA

*** Three points, Team A wins

*** Tweet, Traveling violation.

Agree on both counts. Gotta watch for both as they really can happen.

Consider the first case but in a more likely scenario: A1 is straddling the 3-point line (one foot in front of the other but still facing the basket). Due to pressure, A1 shoots a fade away. Before the ball is released, the front foot will come off the floor first leaving the rear foot on the floor behind the line giving A1 a position behind the 3-point arc. Basket is a 3.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A. Count the 3 PT basket
B. Travelling -no basket
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

A: 3-points (easy)
B: How far did he drag it? I'm not real tight on that if it drug a bit in being lifted, I might count the 3. If this is MS then I'll let them drag the foot a couple of inches before it triggers the whistle. Even at the HS level I can see it dragging a half-inch as it comes off the floor. If it is coming up, I ignore it. [I know -- flames on.]
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg

B: How far did he drag it? I'm not real tight on that if it drug a bit in being lifted, I might count the 3. If this is MS then I'll let them drag the foot a couple of inches before it triggers the whistle. Even at the HS level I can see it dragging a half-inch as it comes off the floor. If it is coming up, I ignore it. [I know -- flames on.]
Mr. Ogg, I must respectfully disagree. Original post says B1 and B2 are double teaming the shooter, sounds like good defense. Now I'm fairly slow on the advantage / disadvantage thing and I'm working on that but this to me is clear.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

You guys missed the whole point here: if MJ did it, it's not a travel, no matter how far he dragged the foot . . . .