LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 04:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
an electronic scoreboard (remember, this was the 60s)
Wow! They had electricity back then?
Yeah, but we had to keep replacing the hamsters on the treadmills. Good thing PETA wasn't around then.

BTW - PETA really stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals".
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Wednesday, May 1, there will be another television "game". This time, it will be on the NBC show "Ed" with - get this - Paul Shaffer as the ref!

Talk about not looking like an athlete!

According to the story line, Ed was involved in a "controversial" game years ago, and Paul was the official. He comes back to town and is asked to officiate a "re-do" of that game (only on television could this happen).

Let's see how many I get right. If you have any predictions of your own, list them. Remember, the more it seems like a cliche, the more likely it will be on the show.
Okay, I know this is a very dumb question, but who is Paul Shaffer? I'm not very culturally literate, I guess.

I liked Ed last season, but I"m sort of done with it. Carol is really too repulsive. Predictions:

(A)Paul Shaffer (whoever he is) will appear to develop a crush on Molly, but will turn out to be either (a) gay, or (b)an NBA ref whose life is too crazy for her.

(B) Mike (the doctor) will dare Ed to try some kind of stupid Game-of-Horse type move that includes pulling his shorts up under his armpits.

(C) Shirley will be a cheerleader.

(D) Phil will return and be the announcer for the game!

Anyone giving donuts for this?!?

Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,

Paul Shaffer is the bandleader on Late Night with David Letterman.
He's also a Canadian (like me).
A very good musician. Probably a very poor ref.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 11:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I liked Ed last season, but I"m sort of done with it. Carol is really too repulsive. Predictions:

(A)Paul Shaffer (whoever he is) will appear to develop a crush on Molly, but will turn out to be either (a) gay, or (b)an NBA ref whose life is too crazy for her.

(B) Mike (the doctor) will dare Ed to try some kind of stupid Game-of-Horse type move that includes pulling his shorts up under his armpits.

(C) Shirley will be a cheerleader.

(D) Phil will return and be the announcer for the game!

Anyone giving donuts for this?!?

Juulie - how can you say an absolute babe like Carol is too repulsive? Oh wait, you're a female.

Other than that - I love your predictions and you may be correct on all four of them. BTW - Phil returned last episode, in case you missed it. But - what about Kenny? No - not the one that gets killed each week on South Park, but the guy on Ed.

Also BTW - I start spring league at The Hoop in Beaverton tomorrow. I think it's HS boys only. I spoke with Josh tonight and he said he is doing a tournament at the University of Portland in June for some PBOA guys. I did it last year and it's a very high grade of HS girls, with most of them already committed to various colleges, almost all on scholarships. There are some boys games too, but not at quite that high a level. If you're interested, I can have Josh email you with the details and you can take it from there.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Juulie - how can you say an absolute babe like Carol is too repulsive? Oh wait, you're a female.
Oh, she's cute, alright, but way too immature. Her thing with the principal was so unprincipled. (Ack!! talking to you has really lowered my standards!)

Quote:
Other than that - I love your predictions and you may be correct on all four of them. BTW - Phil returned last episode, in case you missed it. But - what about Kenny?
I did miss it. Forgot to push the record button on the way out of the house to church. I can't figure Kenny. What would you do with him if you were writing the script?

I got called aobut the U of P tournament. It sounds great!
Old Sat Apr 13, 2002, 06:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
I can't figure Kenny. What would you do with him if you were writing the script?
Since he is so massive, I would have him set picks.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2002, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can't figure Kenny. What would you do with him if you were writing the script?
Since he is so massive, I would have him set picks.
Which leads to my prediction that there will be at least one "Illegal/moving screen" call - probably on a play with no contact whatsoever.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 12:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I got a call from a reporter at the local NBC affiliate here in Portland. She is doing a story on fan and coach violence in youth sports and contacted NASO who referred her to me as a local contact. Among other things, I told her how we were predicting the stupidity on the upcoming Ed episode (which will air on her station) and invited her to write down our list and match it against the show.

She laughed and said she would do that, although it won't be part of her story. She also read a wire service story to me about some Little League dad who had a baseball bat fight with a coach over something as unimportant as the selection of teams, or something like that. Incredible, but not surprising.

BTW - her story is supposed to be on the local news on May 8.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got a call from a reporter at the local NBC affiliate here in Portland. She is doing a story on fan and coach violence in youth sports and contacted NASO who referred her to me as a local contact.

BTW - her story is supposed to be on the local news on May 8.
I think the public would be better served by a story on the all the parents and coaches who yell and scream at the refs, but don't actually get to violence. They are doing almost as much damage to their children and the sport in general, as the ones who actually throw punches, or swing that bat. It's the ill-informed and un-objective fans that make sports miserable these days. The ones who don't get physically violent think that none of the fault lies with them. But their idiotic carryings-on are hurting their own children, their own teams and probably, their own health. Maybe that's too painful for NBC to broadcast.