The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Need clarification on moving/illegal screen

So I always thought a moving screen is when player A sets a screen on player B and after contact is made continues to ride and hinder B's movement. Pretty clear cut.

The other day while playing in a tournament, I was called for multiple illegal screens but I didn't make contact with anyone. First time, what happened was my teammate received the ball at the 3 point line in the corner. His man was under the basket and started running out at him to contest the shot... I set myself up for a screen a good 8 ft in front of the defender. He saw me so changed directions to try at get around me but as he did I shuffled over and reset my pick (w/o making contact) forcing him to go even farther outside around me. By that time my teammate got the shot off... don't remember if it went in or not but it didn't matter cuz I was called for an illegal screen

The 2nd time that I recall getting called for an illegal screen... well to be honest I'm pretty sure I deserved to be called for it but just want to ask to make sure. It was the same situation, my teammate open at the corner, his defender closing in on him.... I set a screen and the defender tries to run around my left, I slide over and reset the pick. He then tries to run around my right, once again I slide over and reset the pick. Finally he tries one more time to my left and I slide over again. we're both just face to face kinda shuffling left and right mirror images of eachother. Keep in mind this entire time we havne't made contact at all. I was called for the foul again.

I need some people to help me out and let me know if A) I am doing something illegal and need to stop or B) I should keep playing how I play and chalk it up to bad officiating

Last edited by CKEINB; Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 03:20am.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 03:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKEINB
So I always thought a moving screen is when player A sets a screen on player B and after contact is made continues to ride and hinder B's movement. Pretty clear cut.

The other day while playing in a tournament, I was called for multiple illegal screens but I didn't make contact with anyone. First time, what happened was my teammate received the ball at the 3 point line in the corner. His man was under the basket and started running out at him to contest the shot... I set myself up for a screen a good 8 ft in front of the defender. He saw me so changed directions to try at get around me but as he did I shuffled over and reset my pick (w/o making contact) forcing him to go even farther outside around me. By that time my teammate got the shot off... don't remember if it went in or not but it didn't matter cuz I was called for an illegal screen

The 2nd time that I recall getting called for an illegal screen... well to be honest I'm pretty sure I deserved to be called for it but just want to ask to make sure. It was the same situation, my teammate open at the corner, his defender closing in on him.... I set a screen and the defender tries to run around my left, I slide over and reset the pick. He then tries to run around my right, once again I slide over and reset the pick. Finally he tries one more time to my left and I slide over again. we're both just face to face kinda shuffling left and right mirror images of eachother. Keep in mind this entire time we havne't made contact at all. I was called for the foul again.

I need some people to help me out and let me know if A) I am doing something illegal and need to stop or B) I should keep playing how I play and chalk it up to bad officiating

As long as there is no contact there can be no foul. The defininition of screening is somewhat lengthy but the key thing is that when setting a screen time and distance is a factor.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. But if this were a soccer game you would have been guilty of obstruction and your opponent would have been awarded an indirect free kick.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

No contact = No personal foul. It's really that simple. (A player can only be called for a technical foul without contacting an opposing player.)

If your descriptions of the plays are accurate, then the official penalizing you for an illegal screen is not correct.

To set a legal screen you must be stationary at the time of contact, and you must give proper time and distance to a moving opponent to avoid you (never more than two strides).
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 06:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKEINB

As noted, without contact there is no foul.
It would seem the laws of screening slightly favor the screener, but while you are *dancing* with one defender, I wonder what the other defender(s) was doing.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 09:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

While your definition of a screen is somewhat shaky, it seems the official was not correct as a foul has to have contact; and there is no violation for "illegal screen."
Unless this particular league you're playing in has some funky rules exceptions or something.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA definition:

A screen is legal action by any player, offensive or defensive, with or
without the ball, which, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.

I think the key to an illegal screen is judging whether the screener "caused" the contact. A screen has 2 parts, the player setting the screen and the player getting screened for, who needs to rub shoulders with the screener for it to be effective. Most illegal screens occur when the wings are lazy coming off the screen causing the screener to shift at the last second and pick off the defender in an effort to do their job.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
P.S. But if this were a soccer game you would have been guilty of obstruction and your opponent would have been awarded an indirect free kick.
Take this over to the Euro board, please.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
No contact = No personal foul. It's really that simple. (A player can only be called for a technical foul without contacting an opposing player.)

If your descriptions of the plays are accurate, then the official penalizing you for an illegal screen is not correct.

To set a legal screen you must be stationary at the time of contact, and you must give proper time and distance to a moving opponent to avoid you (never more than two strides).
Want to re-think that part there is an exception.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Want to re-think that part there is an exception.
True, but generally a player is not going to be purposely screening in that situation (moving in same path and same direction). The event comes about more through favorable circumstances than anything else.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
True, but generally a player is not going to be purposely screening in that situation (moving in same path and same direction). The event comes about more through favorable circumstances than anything else.
Doesn't matter...Must be stationary is black and white...the screening rule has some gray.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Doesn't matter...Must be stationary is black and white...the screening rule has some gray.
Fine, but I also wrote, "To set a legal screen...," not "To screen legally..."

Therefore, my diction implied that the players in question were not running in the same path and direction.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
As long as there is no contact there can be no foul.
That's why I thought but on the NFHS board, you told us it's a PC foul for an offensive player to use the ball to push a defender. Yet, there's no contact between the two players.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith