View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Need clarification on moving/illegal screen

So I always thought a moving screen is when player A sets a screen on player B and after contact is made continues to ride and hinder B's movement. Pretty clear cut.

The other day while playing in a tournament, I was called for multiple illegal screens but I didn't make contact with anyone. First time, what happened was my teammate received the ball at the 3 point line in the corner. His man was under the basket and started running out at him to contest the shot... I set myself up for a screen a good 8 ft in front of the defender. He saw me so changed directions to try at get around me but as he did I shuffled over and reset my pick (w/o making contact) forcing him to go even farther outside around me. By that time my teammate got the shot off... don't remember if it went in or not but it didn't matter cuz I was called for an illegal screen

The 2nd time that I recall getting called for an illegal screen... well to be honest I'm pretty sure I deserved to be called for it but just want to ask to make sure. It was the same situation, my teammate open at the corner, his defender closing in on him.... I set a screen and the defender tries to run around my left, I slide over and reset the pick. He then tries to run around my right, once again I slide over and reset the pick. Finally he tries one more time to my left and I slide over again. we're both just face to face kinda shuffling left and right mirror images of eachother. Keep in mind this entire time we havne't made contact at all. I was called for the foul again.

I need some people to help me out and let me know if A) I am doing something illegal and need to stop or B) I should keep playing how I play and chalk it up to bad officiating

Last edited by CKEINB; Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 03:20am.