The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Red face I know it's summer league, but...

I find it tough to try to work on my mechanics during summer league games when my partners don't have any desire to switch on fouls, bump and run etc. I get very aggrivated at these refs that tell me, "It's just summer league". I guess there is no point to my post, just venting. I finally did say something when my partner inbounded the ball in the backcourt when she was supposed to be the new lead. Oh well. I guess the real problem is, my assignor has a son playing in the league and He is there every day watching. I hope he understands.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Work on other stuff. Crisp signals for OOB. Good mechanics, etc. Chances are the assignor has seen your attempts to do it the right way. You can still improve your positioning, game management, etc.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
I guess the real problem is, my assignor has a son playing in the league and He is there every day watching.
I bet you would get some points with him if you show him you capitalized "He" when referring to him in you post. Exactly which deity is he?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I bet you would get some points with him if you show him you capitalized "He" when referring to him in you post. Exactly which deity is he?
Don't you mean 'He'?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
I find it tough to try to work on my mechanics during summer league games when my partners don't have any desire to switch on fouls, bump and run etc. I get very aggrivated at these refs that tell me, "It's just summer league". I guess there is no point to my post, just venting. I finally did say something when my partner inbounded the ball in the backcourt when she was supposed to be the new lead. Oh well. I guess the real problem is, my assignor has a son playing in the league and He is there every day watching. I hope he understands.
As long as you understand where to stand and where to go during dead ball coverage, then it really should not be that hard to get that down. It is really not hard to switch or bump and run. As someone said, you should work on your signals, your coverage area, and your judgment and game management skills. You really do not need to work on where you stand. As long as you know where to stand and when to stand there, you should be OK.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Don't you mean 'He'?
To me, he's just he. Hee hee!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 08:46am
Ch1town

Off-season ball is what it is...
Unfortunately, most quality officials don't do off-season ball & that puts assignors in a situation where they have to use whoever is available. Most times the only requirement for working is owning a shirt (football or basketball) & a whistle (volleyball or basketball)

That being said, there is still SO MUCH you can do to improve YOUR game in these situations! Like others have said, get your signals tightened up, game management skills & effective communication can always be improved. Videotape your games & break them down, to plug some of those holes. Look at your presence, your run & your dead ball officiating. A good time to work on being an R for next season!

I used to look at it as a negative when working with "those guys" but now I embrace the opportunity to lead by example & people who KNOW good officiating when they see it generally let you know what a great job you did... considering.

The officials who say "it's just summer ball" are more than likely to say the same thing for JV games.
Probably the reason why they are still doing those games after 10+ years at the craft... continue to treat them all as State Championships/Final Fours & it will pay off.

Last year I found myself feeling the way you do now, until I was told, don't work off-season or take advantage of it. I do feel ya pain though...
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

If you are not bumping and running, aren't you getting caught in a long switch? The rest of it seems all to common for summer ball though....

I think I'd be saying something like "Hey P...let's make sure we are bumping and running unless you really like to run from baseline to baseline for some reason....I'd prefer if we bump and run...Ok with you?".
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
If you are not bumping and running, aren't you getting caught in a long switch? The rest of it seems all to common for summer ball though....

I think I'd be saying something like "Hey P...let's make sure we are bumping and running unless you really like to run from baseline to baseline for some reason....I'd prefer if we bump and run...Ok with you?".
I'm betting the OP's partner only eschewed the bump and run when it was the OP who had to go baseline to baseline.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
The officials who say "it's just summer ball" are more than likely to say the same thing for JV games.
Probably the reason why they are still doing those games after 10+ years at the craft... continue to treat them all as State Championships/Final Fours & it will pay off.
The problem is summer ball is not like other regular seasons. I was working a camp yesterday and only one of the 8 coaches even said a word to the officials about calls on a regular basis. The host coach who gave me a lot of crap during a regular season game I had with him was as quite as a mouse. It sounds great in theory to treat these games the same, but the participants do not treat these games the same. They are just trying to get better.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:49am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The problem is summer ball is not like other regular seasons.

True

I was working a camp yesterday and only one of the 8 coaches even said a word to the officials about calls on a regular basis.

A testament of how good you guys are + nothing is on the line in the summer.

The host coach who gave me a lot of crap during a regular season game I had with him was as quiet as a mouse. It sounds great in theory to treat these games the same, but the participants do not treat these games the same.

They are just trying to get better.

Isn't that our goal as well?

Peace
I hear ya JRut, although the situations aren't exactly the same shouldn't our approach & work ethic be the same?

You are what you consistently do...

If we go hard in practice situations (off-season) wouldn't it be that much easier when the real deal (season) comes around?

Fighter pilots have said that their simulations for war time are so intense that when they actually go into combat it's a calm feeling as they have been here before.

Last edited by Ch1town; Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 10:53am.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

It is hard to get everyone to buy into working hard in the offseason. Even though the offseason is when officials get better. In my experience, the guys that won't switch, etc are the same guys that complain and criticize the officials who leap frong them every year.

Still continue to work hard on your improvement goals. More often than not, you will have guys that want to work hard and get better.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Work on other stuff. Crisp signals for OOB. Good mechanics, etc. Chances are the assignor has seen your attempts to do it the right way. You can still improve your positioning, game management, etc.
i work hard to improve in the off season and i sure dont want to develop bad habits. i think one of the problems is that some officials are working a ridiculous amount of games in a day (or week) - its not fair to the players, summer league or not, they're only hurting themselves by slacking and picking up bad habits, which will be obvious in camp situations. Take everyone's advice and continue to work hard during summer league regardless of what your partners do and it will pay off in the end.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:10am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
It is hard to get everyone to buy into working hard in the offseason. Even though the offseason is when officials get better. In my experience, the guys that won't switch, etc are the same guys that complain and criticize the officials who leap frong them every year.

Still continue to work hard on your improvement goals. More often than not, you will have guys that want to work hard and get better.
Exactly! You'd be suprised at how your credibility & development can increase during the off-season.

Example: Working a low level sophmore summer league. Play is sloppy, game is boring, not too many people intersted. Not to my knowledge, but the varsity coach is watching from waaaaay up in the bleachers. After the game, he comes down & says you're sweating & hustling as if this were a post-season game. I said, I treat all my games the same coach!
He asks for my name, writes in down & proceeds to say, looks like I'll have to put you on my list for post-season votes.
Year around work ethic pays off!

Not just because of that situation either, it feels good to leave a gym knowing you gave your best, having the winners as well as the losers say "good work tonight sir"!

Knowledgable people can tell when you're working hard or just going through the motions.

Last edited by Ch1town; Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 11:13am.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio

You can't control what other people do or how hard other people work (or don't work, in this case). If they want to slack off, that's on them. I'm pretty sure the "powers that be" know a hard working official when they see one. Just continue to work hard and be the best official YOU can be.