The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Player wearing a helmet

Last night I was working in a Varsity Girls team camp. One of the players came out for the jump ball wearing a soft foam helmet. Looked kind of like a mountain climbing helmet. It had no hard plastic and had no chin strap or anything else to "permanently" affix it to her head. We told the coach we'd let it go but she had better work on getting an exemption from the state if she was wearing that in the regular season. Is there a rule against the helmet or anything specifically covering it in the book? I know there's something about religious head dress but I don't remember helmets being covered. Thanks!!

It looks like this but w/ no strap

http://www.alimed.com/resources/comm...mb/31732_t.jpg
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS rules, the helmet would not be legal. (3-5-3e Exception)

Whether the state association would allow her to use it for medical reasons is up to them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Under NFHS rules, the helmet would not be legal. (3-5-3e Exception)

Whether the state association would allow her to use it for medical reasons is up to them.
Thanks, do you have the actual text for that rule? I appreciate it!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

3-5-3e
Sweatbands, headwear and head decorations must meet the following guidelines:
a. Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar in color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned (except for logo, see 3-6).
b. Headbands may be a maximum of 2 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
c. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
d. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.
e. Head decorations, except those specified above, are prohibited.
EXCEPTION: State associations may on an individual basis allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:
a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.

Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Last night I was working in a Varsity Girls team camp. One of the players came out for the jump ball wearing a soft foam helmet. Looked kind of like a mountain climbing helmet. It had no hard plastic and had no chin strap or anything else to "permanently" affix it to her head. We told the coach we'd let it go but she had better work on getting an exemption from the state if she was wearing that in the regular season. Is there a rule against the helmet or anything specifically covering it in the book? I know there's something about religious head dress but I don't remember helmets being covered. Thanks!!

It looks like this but w/ no strap

http://www.alimed.com/resources/comm...mb/31732_t.jpg
Are you serious?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Are you serious?
What would lead you to believe that I'm not?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Was she 'special' or just fragile? I guess that's not really relevant, just wondering why anybody would do that...
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk
Was she 'special' or just fragile? I guess that's not really relevant, just wondering why anybody would do that...
My partner talked to the coach, I believe it was due to a medical condition of some sort.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

The same reason other athletes wear them....subject to concussions or other possible head injuries.

Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What would lead you to believe that I'm not?
Did you ask the coach why she's wearing the helmet?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Okay - I see. I still wouldn't allow her to wear it because she can potentially hurt someone with that helmet. Think of an "up and under" move and as she's going up for a shot attempt, she knock the defender's chin with her helmet.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay - I see. I still wouldn't allow her to wear it because she can potentially hurt someone with that helmet. Think of an "up and under" move and as she's going up for a shot attempt, she knock the defender's chin with her helmet.
If this happened, the helmet would help everyone involved. It's made of soft, pliable foam. Think of a floating foam keychain. It's made of the same kind of stuff.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this happened, the helmet would help everyone involved. It's made of soft, pliable foam. Think of a floating foam keychain. It's made of the same kind of stuff.
Well if the opposing coach doesn't complain, then roll with it. Glad that you didn't take the fun out of the players!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if the opposing coach doesn't complain, then roll with it. Glad that you didn't take the fun out of the players!
Have to disagree here. The "waiver" of liability from an opposing coach should have no bearing on the enforcement of safety rules.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Defense Your Honor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Have to disagree here. The "waiver" of liability from an opposing coach should have no bearing on the enforcement of safety rules.
I agree. Anybody can sue anybody for just about any reason, and even if you're in the right, you still have to hire an attorney. When dealing with a NFHS rule regarding safety, go by the book, the whole book, and nothing but the book, or someone will sue the pants off you. The official in this photo lets a player play with an helmet, another player got hurt, her Dad's an attorney, ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 08:09pm.