The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 04:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Hypothetical time

Time to play "what if". NF rules. Prior to the start of a game, you notice a player is wearing what seems to be a religious piece of jewelry on a chain around his neck. You inform the coach that it is to come off, but if the player insists that the item is part of his religion and he must wear it, he can - however it must be taped under his uniform onto his body. The coach informs the player of this and the player calls his father out from the stands. The father informs you that the symbol cannot be taken off due to religious reasons and cannot be "taped over" because that would be disrespectful and would be "against" their religion.

Forget bringing into the equation what the player has done in prior games. What would you do, assuming it would be impossible to get the parents of all the players on both teams to sign a liability waiver.

What would you do? And no - this has never happened in one of my games and I have no idea why I was thinking of it.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I would let the kid play and send a special report to the state association with all the details. (i.e. schools involved; AD and Coach name).
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

He would not play until removed or taped properly. And I am not having any discussions with parents about this kind of issue. I would still inform my state office so they are aware of the situation.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think that the reason it mentions taping it in the rules is that the issue has previously been discussed. "You can wear it and not play, or you can follow the rule that covers this instance." The state's governing body may rule an exception. They did that for a kid here with respect to mouthguards. Everyone knew about it in the assn and there was no problem with it. If the kid wants a waiver, then it would be his responsibility to pursue it.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I would let the kid play and send a special report to the state association with all the details. (i.e. schools involved; AD and Coach name).
The reason for the rule is player safety. What if you let him play without taping it and during play the object swings around, hits another player in the eye and causes damage? What do you think your personal liability would be?
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be Careful Of What You Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
NF rules. Prior to the start of a game, you notice a player is wearing what seems to be a religious piece of jewelry on a chain around his neck. You inform the coach that it is to come off, but if the player insists that the item is part of his religion and he must wear it, he can, however it must be taped under his uniform onto his body.
Good question. First, I would never "inform the coach that it is to come off" because the rules don't exactly say that. Instead, inform the player, and/or, the coach, that the player must tape the necklace if he, or she expects to play in the game.

Second, like most of us, I don't enjoy being the "fashion police", but when it comes to safety, and liability, I'm going by the book. If you see the player wearing a necklace, broach the subject with either the player, and/or, the coach, and allow the player to play, against all relevant NFHS, and/or, state association rules, and the necklace is ripped off, falls to the floor, is tripped on by the player, a teammate, an opponent, a cheerleader, or your partner, causing a major head injury, I'm sure that you could be charged in a civil suit for sure, and possibly a criminal suit, with negligence, and/or, risk of injury. In any case, anybody can sue anybody for any reason, and you're going to get the pants sued off you:

Also, another myth bites the dust:

Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. State associations may on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.

Oh, speaking of lawyers, and the like, with tax time coming up quickly, I met with my accountant today to go over my taxes. A great accountant who gets me every possible deduction. Unfortunately, we couldn't finish my taxes because visiting hours at the prison end at 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. We'll finish them tomorrow.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 05:31pm.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 06:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Unfortunately, we couldn't finish my taxes because visiting hours at the prison end at 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. We'll finish them tomorrow.
So he's coming back tomorrow?
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

This is no different in principle than if the father informed you that his son's religion required him to wear metal spikes protruding from his forearms.

"That's fine, but he can't play in this game with them on."

Until the state makes a specific exception for this particular person or he decides to comply by taping the medal down, the rules dictate he can't play.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hypos ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Time to play "what if".
"Hypothetical time"

Here's some advice: I avoid hypos by being more careful when using the keyboard, and by using the "Check Spelling" feature on the Forum. Because of this, I can avoid most problems with hypos.

Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Find a way to tape the medal such that the icon isn't taped over. It's how you might tape over a medic alert bracelet. Tape the chain, attachment ring and edges of the medal. That should be enough to prevent any safety issues.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, we couldn't finish my taxes because visiting hours at the prison end at 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. We'll finish them tomorrow.
Tomorrow is Sunday, only conjugal visits allowed, good luck!
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 08:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Forearms ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
This is no different in principle than if the father informed you that his son's religion required him to wear metal spikes protruding from his forearms.
NFHS Rule 11-5-Art. 2: Metal spikes must meet the following guidelines:
a. Metal spikes may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.
b. Metal spikes on the upper arm or shoulder must be padded.
NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of metal spikes which in its opinion do not place an opponent at a disadvantage.

By rule, forearms? No. Upper arm, or shoulder? Yes, if padded. Unless, of course, you're in a state where your association has authorized the use of metal spikes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 04:56pm.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
He would not play until removed or taped properly. And I am not having any discussions with parents about this kind of issue. I would still inform my state office so they are aware of the situation.
Careful, someone might call you a "rulebook official."
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 08:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Here's a photo of my accountant. I can't wait for Sunday.
I recognize her. It's the infamous "Barbie the Beancounter"!
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 08:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ooooooooooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Careful, someone might call you a "rulebook official."
You mean an "OOO"?