View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be Careful Of What You Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
NF rules. Prior to the start of a game, you notice a player is wearing what seems to be a religious piece of jewelry on a chain around his neck. You inform the coach that it is to come off, but if the player insists that the item is part of his religion and he must wear it, he can, however it must be taped under his uniform onto his body.
Good question. First, I would never "inform the coach that it is to come off" because the rules don't exactly say that. Instead, inform the player, and/or, the coach, that the player must tape the necklace if he, or she expects to play in the game.

Second, like most of us, I don't enjoy being the "fashion police", but when it comes to safety, and liability, I'm going by the book. If you see the player wearing a necklace, broach the subject with either the player, and/or, the coach, and allow the player to play, against all relevant NFHS, and/or, state association rules, and the necklace is ripped off, falls to the floor, is tripped on by the player, a teammate, an opponent, a cheerleader, or your partner, causing a major head injury, I'm sure that you could be charged in a civil suit for sure, and possibly a criminal suit, with negligence, and/or, risk of injury. In any case, anybody can sue anybody for any reason, and you're going to get the pants sued off you:

Also, another myth bites the dust:

Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. State associations may on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.

Oh, speaking of lawyers, and the like, with tax time coming up quickly, I met with my accountant today to go over my taxes. A great accountant who gets me every possible deduction. Unfortunately, we couldn't finish my taxes because visiting hours at the prison end at 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. We'll finish them tomorrow.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 05:31pm.