The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Overall, I think they made the right decision. I was once told by Hue Hollins, retired NBA official, be right but don't be dead right. Dead right is by the book and no leway for application, game management, game contorl, game pressence, game awareness. IF he would have called the 'T', I would have ok with it, too. But there are so many factors while you are officiating that somehow & someway not all things are equal. Case in point. I saw a game where a player went down hard the ball was stolen and they went to the other end of the court. The player did not get up, started bleeding, and the coach ran onto the floor before the play was stopped. The officals would have been dead right to call the 'T' for being out of the box while the game is on...but the officials saw this differently -- they just suspended play. NO 'T'. ..Just a thought...
I think Hue Hollins is the official I love the most. Didn't he call the phantom foul on Scottie Pippen that finally got my Knicks past the Bulls? Then I agree with Hue.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:40am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra

On my level...V HS playoff game...that player is going to get stuck. How is that anything but a display of poor sportsmanship?
I have a better question - How is it a display of poor sportsmanship??? He was not responding to a call or no-call by the officials. He was frustrated with no one but himself. As some guy named Chuck (or Bhuck or something like that) asked in an earlier post - what rule did he violate? Why is slamming the ball down an automatic T? Why is slamming the ball down automatically unsportsmanlike???
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

If anyone has this TIVO'ed watch what happens to the ball.......If I remember it correctly, a KU player catches the ball....he then slams the ball down and it goes off his foot into the crowd. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:48am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
... He was frustrated with no one but himself. ..
How do we know that? Maybe that is the case. Maybe someone said something to set him off. I don't buy self-frustration as a license to release it on the court during a game by slamming a ball. JMO.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 10:50am.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yeah, you missed it. It's one of the first 5 or 6 replies.
Another case of not seeing the forest for the trees!!!!!!!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
I think Hue Hollins is the official I love the most. Didn't he call the phantom foul on Scottie Pippen that finally got my Knicks past the Bulls? Then I agree with Hue.
In Chicago, he's known as Hue 'no clue' Hollins. After all these years, his name still evokes the wrath of bull's fans.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:04am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
If anyone has this TIVO'ed watch what happens to the ball.......If I remember it correctly, a KU player catches the ball....he then slams the ball down and it goes off his foot into the crowd. Can anyone confirm this?
It goes a few feet above his head but doesn't go into the crowd. I wasn't sure about this at first when I saw it last night but after talking about it in the chat room and reading the threads here, I am inclined to agree that not calling the T was correct. Billy Packer thought it was the best call of the tournament I think....
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

A large part of me would like to say that they should've stuck him for it. I think displays like that look bad and sends a poor message to younger players, but not calling the T was the correct thing to do in this situation.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Billy Packer thought it was the best call of the tournament I think....
Well, there ya go. End of discussion!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
How do we know that? Maybe that is the case. Maybe someone said something to set him off. I don't buy self-frustration as a license to release it on the court during a game by slamming a ball. JMO.
OK, so you are in the "it's an automatic T" camp then, right? So an honest question for you then - Can you supply a rules basis for that??
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
A large part of me would like to say that they should've stuck him for it. I think displays like that look bad and sends a poor message to younger players, but not calling the T was the correct thing to do in this situation.
The point is not if it sends a poor message to other players. That's not the determing factor if you call it or not. I understand what you're commenting on though.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:09pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
OK, so you are in the "it's an automatic T" camp then, right? So an honest question for you then - Can you supply a rules basis for that??
I never said I was in the automatic T camp (your words, not mine), just that I THOUGHT it looked appropriate here...and since you asked:

Player Technical Rule 10-3-6b: Delay the game by such acts as failing, when in posession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when the whistle blows.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never said I was in the automatic T camp (your words, not mine), just that I THOUGHT it looked appropriate here...and since you asked:

Player Technical Rule 10-3-6b: Delay the game by such acts as failing, when in posession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when the whistle blows.
Boy, a lot of wiggle room on that one.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:13pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Boy, a lot of wiggle room on that one.
...and my guess is that the FED intended it to be that way. I can't cite the NCAA rule...maybe it doesn't exist. This one's just my frame of reference.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting that you would call it based on an act delaying the game rather than an unsporting act.

And since a timeout had just been granted, perhaps he was not delaying the game? I do think it's possible that if there had been a violation or other activity and the official wanted to put the ball right back into play, throwing the ball down and away from the official may have been viewed differently.