Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
per the OP, for slamming the ball.
There is no mention of a ninth grader in the OP.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not understand why you are so defensive. I have not read anything that was insulting to you in any way (maybe I overlooked it)...

Peace
Yeah, you missed it. It's one of the first 5 or 6 replies.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
I don't care what the score is and what game it is, it is not the NBA, slam the ball get a T. I don't care who you are frustrated with...Every player knows you don't do that. I'm disappointed with Hightower after that!

No T there.

Now, I am surprised no delay warning wasn't given to Dozier for the grabbing the ball out of the net and pointing to his peeps in the crowd.

But, who am I to criticize, I was on the couch.

I thought they called a pretty consistent game to be honest.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:46am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The only thing I saw that had an effect on the outome was the inability to make free throws by Memphis in the last 2 minutes. But maybe that is just me.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Now, I am surprised no delay warning wasn't given to Dozier for the grabbing the ball out of the net and pointing to his peeps in the crowd.
I wondered about that too. But.....I don't think that KU had anybody OOB anyway waiting to get the ball. If there isn't a KU player waiting for the ball, the game really isn't being delayed.

The only other thing that he mighta got nailed for was the stylin' and profiling', but that wasn't really egregious either imo. He was probably just practicing up for his NBE audition. Show bidness, baby.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
The only thing I saw that had an effect on the outome was the inability to make free throws by Memphis in the last 2 minutes. But maybe that is just me.
Come on 2-6...You don't think the 3 by Chalmers had something to do with it....What's that, you were getting another beer at that time...Oh, Ok...My bad

And for what it's worth...I though it was a good call on the no-T...TO was granted, CDR was nowhere near anyone else and obviously upset with himself for missing FTs.

I was questioning the Dorsey DOG when he held the ball but after some thought, if the ball were just bouncing, it might have actually taken the same or longer for the inbounder to get it...Dorsey held it and then tossed to OOB....so I guess that was ok too...
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
The only thing I saw that had an effect on the outome was the inability to make free throws by Memphis in the last 2 minutes.
I found this to be a very ironic part of the game......

Memphis was a horrible FT shooting team all year. Yet in the round of 64 they shot remarkably well - this HAD to be a tactic other coaches wanted to use against them - foul em late in the game and send em to the line and we will have a chance. This tactic failed in the previous games....up until the end of the one that mattered most.....
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Here's my only question to you, RR: why is it a T? What rule is violated by bouncing the ball in frustration after you've missed 2 critical FTs to lose the nat'l championship?

Is it unsporting? IMHO, it's not. It's frustration directed at himself -- not an opponent or an official.

Is it delaying the game, as somebody else mentioned? It was clearly not, as a TO had just been granted.

So what's the rule basis for a T here? I don't think there is one.
Good grief, Chuck. No one asked for a voice of reason here.

Dan said to tell you to get back into your tree.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

shoulda/coulda/woulda

Overall, I think they made the right decision. I was once told by Hue Hollins, retired NBA official, be right but don't be dead right. Dead right is by the book and no leway for application, game management, game contorl, game pressence, game awareness. IF he would have called the 'T', I would have ok with it, too. But there are so many factors while you are officiating that somehow & someway not all things are equal. Case in point. I saw a game where a player went down hard the ball was stolen and they went to the other end of the court. The player did not get up, started bleeding, and the coach ran onto the floor before the play was stopped. The officals would have been dead right to call the 'T' for being out of the box while the game is on...but the officials saw this differently -- they just suspended play. NO 'T'. ..Just a thought...

Last edited by iref4him; Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 09:32am.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

OK, so informal poll...

Take the same situation from last nights game (re: ball slam) on an ordinary night in a varsity high school game. Do you bang him?

What about in a middle school game?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Varsity: maybe, at least a quick chat.
middle school: maybe, at least a quick chat.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
No T there.

But, who am I to criticize, I was on the couch.

I thought they called a pretty consistent game to be honest.

Agreed.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I found this to be a very ironic part of the game......

Memphis was a horrible FT shooting team all year. Yet in the round of 64 they shot remarkably well - this HAD to be a tactic other coaches wanted to use against them - foul em late in the game and send em to the line and we will have a chance. This tactic failed in the previous games....up until the end of the one that mattered most.....

They shot decent in the tourney because the collar was never tight. They've had zero experience all year in tight games with the exception of the Tenn. game which they lost, their average margin of victory was 18 points.

The failure to foul in the last 10 seconds was a real blunder. Put 'em on the line for two and you may have ball back with 3-4 seconds left. Poorly played. A much needed timeout would have helped, dejavu from the Tenn. game

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 10:16am.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I agree, no T here. If a player slams a ball in my direction in response to a call, T. This wasn't that. I've turned my back to this kind of slam plenty a times. But I'd make a note the player "Next you slam it, please catch it for me." It's worked for me.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:27am
Official & Member

I have to admit, sitting and watching last night...I said out loud "Why didn't he get stuck with a T?" Maybe it's my lack of big game experience. Maybe it's my lack of DI officiating experience ...

My impression was that the crew looked bad by allowing it...but like someone else pointed out...my butt has been on the sofa for a month now.

On my level...V HS playoff game...that player is going to get stuck. How is that anything but a display of poor sportsmanship?