Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.

Now, I fully understand why it was not called, I just do not agree with it, and apparently I'm only allowed to have an opinion that is agreed upon by the majority of the board...I digress because I'm full of whatever, or stupid or whatever other name we can revert to calling our fellow officials...
Puh-leeze, give us all a break.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

With all due respect, if he took a swing at a player, are we going to ignore that as well? Or if the coach comes out of the box to chew on a ref? Or if they hang on the rim (oh, i guess they already let that one go).
My beef is that it bleeds down to the lower levels. I understand where rev is coming from: (they can do it in NCAA). And I have no problem telling the 9th grader jerk "they can T them up in the NCAA, too" I just want a little consistency.
I will end with this question: If it was the state championship of your respective state, and the top player did that, would you call it?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
With all due respect, if he took a swing at a player, are we going to ignore that as well? Or if the coach comes out of the box to chew on a ref? Or if they hang on the rim (oh, i guess they already let that one go).
My beef is that it bleeds down to the lower levels. I understand where rev is coming from: (they can do it in NCAA). And I have no problem telling the 9th grader jerk "they can T them up in the NCAA, too" I just want a little consistency.
I will end with this question: If it was the state championship of your respective state, and the top player did that, would you call it?
Why is the ninth grader a jerk?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Why is the ninth grader a jerk?
per the OP, for slamming the ball.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
I like the no "T". The Biggest game in the nation. I like how the crew used common sense officiating in not calling that. C'mon guys would you really call that if you were in the biggest game (state title, ncaa championship, etc). Great job to the crew!!
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
THE only thing that changes is YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS the game... Then you are not impartial, and probably blow off contracts for JV games and make the rest of the refs in the world cover your tail.
I've turned back a grand total of 2 assignments in 6 years. I'm sorry if you had to personally cover my tail. That must've been quite an inconvenience. My most humble appologies.

Though one time I did trade a 5:15 JV game for a 3:30 frosh game, so I could get to my daughter's band concert. I still flog myself over that at least weekly.

Oh, and I've turned back a few JV games for V games. I guess that makes me a bad man too.

And I would not have called that T. I'm going to hell. I know it.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What rule means you call the NCAA D1 final different than a NCAA D-III opening weekend game, or apply different principles to a HS JV Game...
I hate to break it to you, expectations change as the levels move up. Sorry, but that is the reality here.

Quote:
All I was trying to say is that it establishes a precedent. Slamming the ball down and being stupified for getting a T will happen next year.
I am not sure I understand this statement.

Quote:
Now, I fully understand why it was not called, I just do not agree with it, and apparently I'm only allowed to have an opinion that is agreed upon by the majority of the board...I digress because I'm full of whatever, or stupid or whatever other name we can revert to calling our fellow officials...
I do not understand why you are so defensive. I have not read anything that was insulting to you in any way (maybe I overlooked it). But there is a difference between a kid slamming the ball in anger with the officials or another player, then upset with himself because he just missed a big FT. When people start talking about what is automatic, it makes your job harder to do. There should be no automatic, just like a kid that blows out his knee I am not giving him a T for that either. I just wish officials would stop putting "automatics" standards for a bunch of things.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What rule means you call the NCAA D1 final different than a NCAA D-III opening weekend game, or apply different principles to a HS JV Game...

THE only thing that changes is YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS the game... Then you are not impartial, and probably blow off contracts for JV games and make the rest of the refs in the world cover your tail.

All I was trying to say is that it establishes a precedent. Slamming the ball down and being stupified for getting a T will happen next year.

My goodness. I know one part of this isn't correct, at least for me: I don't schedule JV games as they're too hard to turn back when I get a nonconference varsity game. Did work one this past season, though, as part of a JV/V DH.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:38am
We don't rent pigs

A notable part of this situation to me was that Packer made such a big deal about what a wonderful decision it was for the official not to call the T. I didn't figure anybody there ever thought for a second about making the call. Guy who slammed the ball was not even involved in the action immediately before the whistle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Ok, then don't call the T. What about a delay of game?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 05:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit
Ok, then don't call the T. What about a delay of game?
A call like that would be the "bunny droppings" that Chuck was talking about, you wascally wabbit.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Since my name is being tossed around here, and I was in the chat room with all you bozos, I might as well share my two cents.

Quote:
I don't care what the score is and what game it is, it is not the NBA, slam the ball get a T. I don't care who you are frustrated with...Every player knows you don't do that. I'm disappointed with Hightower after that!
Here's my only question to you, RR: why is it a T? What rule is violated by bouncing the ball in frustration after you've missed 2 critical FTs to lose the nat'l championship?

Is it unsporting? IMHO, it's not. It's frustration directed at himself -- not an opponent or an official.

Is it delaying the game, as somebody else mentioned? It was clearly not, as a TO had just been granted.

So what's the rule basis for a T here? I don't think there is one. I know there are officials who think it's an "automatic", but I just don't see why it should be. You say "every player knows you don't do that". Every player also knows it's a foul to get the rebound while you're behind another player. We don't care what the players know about the rules. If you are an official who knows the real rules and understands the game, then you can pass on the "call" without worry.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
if he took a swing at a player, are we going to ignore that as well?
That's clearly defined in the rules as fighting. Not ignored.

Quote:
Or if the coach comes out of the box to chew on a ref?
This is a major POE, and will not be ignored; although in a game of this magnitude, some latitude will probably be given.

Quote:
Or if they hang on the rim
The NCAA rule is different from FED. NCAA says you can't grasp "in an emphatic manner".

IOW, you're comparing apples to bunny droppings.

Quote:
My beef is that it bleeds down to the lower levels.
If something is legal at the NCAA level, it's not the NCAA officials' problem if it bleeds down to the high school kids. It's our job in our HS games to call it, regardless of where it comes from.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't care for the idea that you don't make a call because it's the biggest game of the year. Rules don't change because of that. If you make that call in the first or 10th game of the season - then you make it in the NCAA Final. Period.

However, that said - I wouldn't have called the 'T'. I would have gone to get ball and told him to dial it back a little and the message would have been clear.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
If something is legal at the NCAA level, it's not the NCAA officials' problem if it bleeds down to the high school kids. It's our job in our HS games to call it, regardless of where it comes from.
Preach on, brutha.

I've had this happen before - in football, basketball, baseball. The easiest response is, "Well, this isn't college basketball, is it?"