The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Had a situation earlier this year and would like to hear thoughts on it. This was an NCAA men's game. The gym where the game is being played has only one large window in it, and the window is directly behind one of the baskets. It is designated as the visitor's basket for the first half. There is a curtain, but it is not drawn, so the sun is coming through.

During warm-ups, the visiting coach gets my attention and says, "That curtain better be open for the second half, too. You better make sure that they leave it open."

His concern obviously was that his team would have difficulty shooting into the sun, and then the curtain would be closed in the second half, making it easier for the home team to see the basket.

My response was that it's simply not up to the officials. It's not a safety issue; it's more like bench location. I told him if he was concerned to let the game management know about it, but that I wasn't going to get involved.

So how would everybody else handle something like this? Should I have gone to the home coach to talk about it? Or is it better to stay out of it? Just looking for thoughts.
The coach is dumber than a stump.
By the second half the sun will not be showing through the window.

Close the curtains so that the officials can see the action.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I would have went to game management myself and gotten them to close the curtain, or made sure the curtain didn't magically close in the second half.
Yeah, that's why I brought it up. I honestly thought it wasn't really any of my business, but afterward, I didn't like the way it played out. My thought was that if it bothered him, he should've just asked for the curtain to be closed instead of trying to make me monitor it at halftime.

So what do you do if it magically closes at halftime? You gonna hold up the game until somebody opens it?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Yeah, that's why I brought it up. I honestly thought it wasn't really any of my business, but afterward, I didn't like the way it played out. My thought was that if it bothered him, he should've just asked for the curtain to be closed instead of trying to make me monitor it at halftime.

So what do you do if it magically closes at halftime? You gonna hold up the game until somebody opens it?
If I told them not to close it damnright we're gonna wait.

Either way if the visiting coach b1tches about it we'll wait for them to open it (but as Mick says by that time the sun will have moved so it's all a moot point... and I've yet to see a gym with a curtain over the window, where was this anyways?).
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If I told them not to close it damnright we're gonna wait.

Either way if the visiting coach b1tches about it we'll wait for them to open it (but as Mick says by that time the sun will have moved so it's all a moot point... and I've yet to see a gym with a curtain over the window, where was this anyways?).
Some architectural college's home gym. Curtain was there because of the screwed design.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 08:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
What, no cute picture?
Apparently not. For some unknown reason, virtually all my posts that had links to pictures have been deleted. Dunno why. And, strangely enough, the one of Steve Wellmer's grandmother is still there!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 08:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Apparently not. For some unknown reason, virtually all my posts that had links to pictures have been deleted. Dunno why. And, strangely enough, the one of Steve Wellmer's grandmother is still there!
Perhaps that was nearly germane ?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Perhaps that was nearly germane ?
Germane??? I haven't posted a European picture since I've been on this board! You know how I feel about FEEBLE.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:20pm
Administrator

Here is my take on this situation. If the sun is going to cause a problem for the team shooting at that basketball then it is also going to be a problem for the officials too. Glare is glare, even before the visiting coach came to me with problem and I think that I would have approached game administration with the excuse that the glare is a problem for the game officials. That makes it a neutral problem.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The glare would not have bothered me because I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio