The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Its slow at work today, so I am getting a lot of my questions answered, thank you everyone.

regarding NFGHS "Continuous Motion"

A post player on the block begins his spin to baseline for a turn arround jumper but is hacked accross the arm before he can bring the ball up to attempt to shoot it. Is he in the act of shooting and awarded two shots?

A player on the fast break has dribbled the length of the court and has now ended his dribble and is beginning his foot work for a lay up but is hacked accross the arm and before he can bring the ball up to attempt to shoot it.Is he in the act of shooting and awarded two shots?

Both of these scenarios are usually called for non-shooting fouls on the floor, yet I feel they could be considered in the act of shooting based on the definition of continuous motion.

interpretations?

thanks again
GW
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

It's difficult to answer such questions based upon description. In the first example, I would say no, it's not a shooting foul. You stated, "...before he can bring the ball up to attempt to shoot.." The second example is less clear. I judge foot movements to mean that the player has become an airborne shooter, if he has not started the arm movement. Read 4-11-2 and you'll find that the player may continue to pivot or step and complete the usual movement, if the throwing motion has started.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Judgement.

regarding NFGHS "Continuous Motion"

A post player on the block begins his spin to baseline for a turn arround jumper but is hacked accross the arm before he can bring the ball up to attempt to shoot it. Is he in the act of shooting and awarded two shots?

This is why we get paid the big bucks. You have to determine if the move was directly appart of a try. You need to look at definitions and read what a try or a tap is. Rule 4-40.

A player on the fast break has dribbled the length of the court and has now ended his dribble and is beginning his foot work for a lay up but is hacked accross the arm and before he can bring the ball up to attempt to shoot it.Is he in the act of shooting and awarded two shots?

I this play described, it sounds like a try. The player picked up the ball in an attempt to shoot. Sounds like the player was in the act of shooting to me.

Both of these scenarios are usually called for non-shooting fouls on the floor, yet I feel they could be considered in the act of shooting based on the definition of continuous motion.

Depends on the level of the officials you are watching. These situations are usually not the situation that I have seen called non-shooting fouls. Maybe at the lower levels, but the higher you go official know how to call these plays. Especially the ones you described here. Always easy to describe something in black and white and come up with a ruling, but not so easy when you see the play. That is why judgement is so important for an official.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

In the first sitch, if it is the same move the player has been making all game and it has always ended with a shoot...he/she gets at least one FT (and as previously stated if it is early and I have nothing to draw on, the I get to earn my money )

In the second sitch, in my book this is definetly a shooting foul.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 12:24pm
Esteemed Participant

A good rule of thumb...if the player is going toward the basket and has both hands on the ball - they are in the act of shooting...if the post player hasn't gotten both hands to the ball yet (on that spin move) then they were still dribbling...where the ball is at height-wise really doesn't matter - in other words, just because the post player has the ball at waist height as they start to bring it up does not negate the fact that they have "started their usual throwing motion"...
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have been taught three key situations where we as officials should not use continutation. If a foul occurs before 1- the dribble has been picked up 2- the player jump stops 3- the player gathers himself. 2 & 3 are similar. For example, if a player gets hit across the arm after he clearly picks up his dribble and now feels the contact and gathers himself or regroups himself and then shoots this should be ruled on the floor because this motion is not continuous, there is a pause in the continuity of the play where the player jump stops or gathers himself. Now if he gets hit on the arm and then takes a stride or two but the motion is continuous, i.e. no gathering takes place, then give him two. When in doubt as to whether the player gathers then give him two. Error on that side. I would agee with the other replies and say that your situation in 1 is no continuation and your situation in 2 is continuation but like someone else said it's hard to describe these type of plays unless you see it.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

These are the types of plays I sell the heck out of on the call. If I feel the player was in the act of shooting, I let it be known right away. I've found this helps deter the usual whining after such a call. If you give the impression you had the call all the way, you help credibility, IMO.