The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 12:55pm
Ch1town

Erroneous info

Here's the sitch:

B1 commits a common foul on A1 which is the teams 7th, partner (rookie official) administers the FTs.
A5 rebounds the missed 1st shot & scores a lay-up, nobody else moves. Team B is granted a timeout immediately.
My partner says to me I accidently told them 2 shots.
I remember reading a similar situation in the case book 8.6.1 to be exact. The only difference is my sitch involves a scored basket. I tell him no worries, we can correct it.

What we did was cancel the basket & gave the ball to Team B for a spot throw-in. After re-reading the case book this morning, I noticed that I told the young official wrong because we should've went to the AP arrow.

Is wiping off the basket by A5 correct?

I totally blame myself for:
1. not being cognizant that he said 2 when it was 1 & 1... I could've eliminated the error & my misapplication of the rule would've never occured had I been on my Ps & Qs

2. not knowing the rules (partially proficient doesn't count)

Let me know if everything else we did was correct prior to our failure of going to the AP arrow. I'd like to shoot my partner an email & clear things up for his future reference. Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

You failed to quickly blow the whistle and make the ball dead BEFORE the rebounder scored a basket. (Note the language of the case book play--"whistled dead immediately".) Since the basket was scored with a live ball, you cannot cancel it. You have no rules support to do so. You tried to do the right thing once you realized that you and your partner had made a mistake in the FT administration, but unfortunately, you committed another mistake in trying to fix the first one.

You needed to accept that a mistake occurred and move on.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I partially agree

Nevada, I agree the mistakes compounded each other to a point. But in the end aside from the CE they got it right. I agree that they can't cancel the score, since the POI is after the score, B should get the ball, but not with a spot throw in.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:33pm
Ch1town

Ok, since I didn't know that he provided erroneous info until after the basket was made, nothing can done to fix it except dont f&%# it up to begin with. Is that correct?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Ok, since I didn't know that he provided erroneous info until after the basket was made, nothing can done to fix it except dont f&%# it up to begin with. Is that correct?
You need to watch your partner signal prior to the FT. You already admitted that you goofed by not doing so. Unfortunate, but not something that you should be crucified over.

I guess that you could have realized that something was wrong when only one player went after the rebound and sounded the whistle at that time. The action could have clued you in that your partner did something incorrect. Just a thought.

I'm confused how you came up with giving the ball to Team B and taking the basket away from Team A, since it was A5 who got the rebound. You just gave Team B a free rebound without making them pay for it in any way, such as with the AP arrow.

I could understand an official saying that the ball became dead prior to the goal due to the mistake and thus no basket, but still Team A retains possession when the game resumes since that team did get the rebound. It wouldn't be truly correct, but it would be a reasonable ruling for an official who didin't know the case play with great precision.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:59pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I guess that you could have realized that something was wrong when only one player went after the rebound and sounded the whistle at that time. The action could have clued you in that your partner did something incorrect. Just a thought.

I know huh Sound the whistle, find out what my partner said, go to AP

I'm confused how you came up with giving the ball to Team B and taking the basket away from Team A, since it was A5 who got the rebound. You just gave Team B a free rebound without making them pay for it in any way, such as with the AP arrow.

Right! It was just a wake-up call. Apparently I need to be in the rule book during the off-season as well!

I could understand an official saying that the ball became dead prior to the goal due to the mistake and thus no basket, but still Team A retains possession when the game resumes since that team did get the rebound. It wouldn't be truly correct, but it would be a reasonable ruling for an official who didin't know the case play with great precision.
I gotcha... I guess it's better to learn that lesson now than in a more critical environment later.
Thanks!!!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I gotcha... I guess it's better to learn that lesson now than in a more critical environment later.
Thanks!!!
That's what summer ball is for, right?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't understand this one, Nevada. How can this be the right move? Particularly, if you're going to negate the shot (the "right" thing to do, even though it's not the "correct" thing), how do you give the ball to A without going to the arrow? It doesn't make sense.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:15pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I guess so. But I just hate making simple mistakes. Since I learned from it & if I don't make the same mistake again... it's not such a bad thing.

I learned 3 things: How to properly handle that situation. How to eliminate or slim down the chances of it occuring. And admitting unnoticed errors to partners increases your credibility.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand this one, Nevada. How can this be the right move? Particularly, if you're going to negate the shot (the "right" thing to do, even though it's not the "correct" thing), how do you give the ball to A without going to the arrow? It doesn't make sense.
Adam,
All that I was saying there is that if an official isn't aware of the precise way to handle the situation as detailed in the case book, I could certainly see an official ruling the ball dead just after the rebound, thus negating the goal, and then going to the POI to resume the game. That would give the ball to Team A as they had team control at the time. Not saying that it is the correct NFHS ruling, but I do think that it makes some sense.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess so. But I just hate making simple mistakes. Since I learned from it & if I don't make the same mistake again... it's not such a bad thing.

I learned 3 things: How to properly handle that situation. How to eliminate or slim down the chances of it occuring. And admitting unnoticed errors to partners increases your credibility.
Excellent. I hope that you are a better official today than you were yesterday. That is something for which all of us should be constantly striving.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Adam,
All that I was saying there is that if an official isn't aware of the precise way to handle the situation as detailed in the case book, I could certainly see an official ruling the ball dead just after the rebound, thus negating the goal, and then going to the POI to resume the game. That would give the ball to Team A as they had team control at the time. Not saying that it is the correct NFHS ruling, but I do think that it makes some sense.
I get it. You see this as one (not necessarily the only) way to understandably screw this up.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Summer ball?!?!? It's supposed to snow here tomorrow.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Summer ball?!?!? It's supposed to snow here tomorrow.
Well, I work fairly near Ch1town, and it was snowing as I arrived at work this morning. Snow's gone now, though.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:57pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Now Wait A Min.....

Quote:
You failed to quickly blow the whistle and make the ball dead BEFORE the rebounder scored a basket. (Note the language of the case book play--"whistled dead immediately".) Since the basket was scored with a live ball, you cannot cancel it. You have no rules support to do so. You tried to do the right thing once you realized that you and your partner had made a mistake in the FT administration, but unfortunately, you committed another mistake in trying to fix the first one.

You needed to accept that a mistake occurred and move on.
I said just this about this sitch about 1 month ago and someone told me I was wrong to count the basket. That it was correctable and the basket is to be removed. I wish I could find that thread....