The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:04pm
MPLAHE

erroneous double bonus

I saw this occur in a game before mine in a national tournament this weekend.
non-shooting foul called on team B. Officials ask the table if one and one or double bonus. Table says double bonus - 2 shots. A1 shoots and misses, his teammate grabs the rebound and scores. Officials blow it dead and state it was a two-shot situation. The A team coach checks the book and finds out there were only eight team fouls and wants the basket to count.

The officials did a do-over which was obviously not right. They asked me after the game and I felt since the first free throw was missed ( and it should have been a one and one situation), they should have gone to the possession arrow once the first one was missed and only the shooting team reacted.

Was this the correct advice?

FYI - they had teenage kids doing both the clock and the book for this tournament - what a mess!
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLAHE
non-shooting foul called on team B. Officials ask the table if one and one or double bonus. Table says double bonus - 2 shots. A1 shoots and misses, his teammate grabs the rebound and scores. Officials blow it dead and state it was a two-shot situation. The A team coach checks the book and finds out there were only eight team fouls and wants the basket to count.

The officials did a do-over which was obviously not right. They asked me after the game and I felt since the first free throw was missed ( and it should have been a one and one situation), they should have gone to the possession arrow once the first one was missed and only the shooting team reacted.

Was this the correct advice?
Yup, correct advice as per case book play 8.6.1(b). Cancel the score and go to the AP.