The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

JugglingReferee Fri Oct 03, 2008 05:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 540467)
And maybe it has been worse for sports fans in San Diego, Cleveland and Buffalo, who have not celebrated a world championship in any major professional sport in more than 40 years......."

Entire article is at: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cubs/2008-09-30-Cubspain_N.htm

The Leafs not winning the Cup since '67 is a bigger story, imho.

I don't see any celebration topping that one when it happens.

grunewar Fri Oct 03, 2008 05:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 540926)

From the Article, "Or those in Washington, D.C., who have had their October calendars clear every year since 1933. Not only have they lost two teams in the interim, the franchise in town now hasn't been to the playoffs since 1981, when it was in Montreal." (and we lost 100 games this yr! Wahoo!! NOT)

Let's go NATS! :( It's gonna be a long, long time for us.

We can only hope for our CAPS!

Adam Fri Oct 03, 2008 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 540926)

The Leafs? Is that a NASCAR family like the Pettys or Earnharts?

ChuckElias Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02pm

I'm really surprised at these first two games have gone for the Sox. (And for the Cubs, but for different reasons.) I'm trying not to get too excited. They can't play that well for another 9 games in a row.

Typical Dice-K, by the way. 5 or so innings, 100+ pitches, force the bullpen to work for it. Fortunately, the bullpen did the job (although, technically, Pap gets a really tough blown save) and Drew provided the power in the 9th. (Not that I saw it. I was asleep at 11:15.)

Nevadaref Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:12am

CUBS fans...

will have to wait til next year! :(

Nevadaref Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 541123)
...the 9th. (Not that I saw it. I was asleep at 11:15.)

So Chuck, how do like that West Coast baseball? :D

I'm rooting for the Dodgers just to mess up the TV schedule on the East Coast. :p

Jay R Mon Oct 06, 2008 06:36am

Speaking of staying up late to watch a game. Game 3 last night was in the
7th inning was over 3 hours and thirty minutes when I went to bed. That's ridiculous, I love baseball but I've got to believe many more people were watching the NFL game then the ALDS. The catchers seem to go to the mound every time there is a runner on second base. They have got to clean that up somehow as well as fixing up your batting gloves between every pitch. I could go on.

On a different note, Pedroia is really struggling. If the Sox win, it won't be a big deal but should the Angels come back it might be big. Heck if the Angels come back to win, it will be the biggest comeback since the Angles defeated the Saxons.:D

grunewar Mon Oct 06, 2008 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 541357)
Speaking of staying up late to watch a game. Game 3 last night was in the
7th inning was over 3 hours and thirty minutes when I went to bed. That's ridiculous, I love baseball but I've got to believe many more people were watching the NFL game then the ALDS. The catchers seem to go to the mound every time there is a runner on second base. They have got to clean that up somehow as well as fixing up your batting gloves between every pitch. I could go on.:D

I too love baseball, but concur - the games are getting extremely long due to all the extraneous crap! In my case, that's why the the DVR gods invented picture in piture and DVR's.....and I'm glad the NFL is back....how bout them SKINS?!

ChuckElias Tue Oct 07, 2008 08:19am

Lester is the man! Sox and Rays both win yesterday, setting up a really interesting ALCS. The most exciting thing is that I may actually be able to stay awake long enough to see all of the games! All East coast start times. Woo-hoo!

So back in March, what were the Vegas odds that Jed Lowrie would drive in the winning run, which would be scored by Jason Bay, to advance the Red Sox who would face the Tampa Bay Rays?!?!?! But Pedroia finally broke the slump and hit one off the wall, driving in an important run.

I'm going to wander off to the baseball side now and see if they're talking about the tag and dropped ball by Veritek.

dblref Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29am

Quote:

how bout them SKINS?!
Easy, grunewar. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. The Sports Reporters (at least Czabin) already has the Skins at 7-1. If I remember correctly, the last time they started 7-1, they wound up 9-7, and missed the playoffs. Here's hoping it happens again. :D

grunewar Tue Oct 07, 2008 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 541452)
....how bout them SKINS?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblref (Post 541675)
Easy, grunewar. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. The Sports Reporters (at least Czabin) already has the Skins at 7-1. If I remember correctly, the last time they started 7-1, they wound up 9-7, and missed the playoffs. Here's hoping it happens again. :D

I just said - "how bout them SKINS"!" I didn't say anything about a Superbowl, Division Championship or anything - I remain guarded in my optimism....but as you point out, some in this area are already counting their chickens.....

When do you think we'll see a NATS vs O's VRE/Light Rail Series? :D

Welpe Tue Oct 07, 2008 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 541722)

When do you think we'll see a NATS vs O's VRE/Light Rail Series? :D

Probably right around the same time we have another Battle of the Bay between SF and Oakland. ;)

mick Thu Oct 09, 2008 09:25am

The Rays have done nothing but defy expectations all season long. The team that finished in last place in 2007, has never won more than 70 games in a season, ranks 29th in payroll, and has the youngest roster in the game somehow, someway managed to win baseball's toughest division. - msn.foxsports.com

I dunno....
I like the Red Sox, but what's not to like about a young, lower paid Rays team ?

...And then there's the question of playing real baseball with all it's substitutions and line-up changes, and pitching decisions.

Like others, I like the East time teams.

CoachP Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 542163)
The Rays have done nothing but defy expectations all season long.

So did our Tigers, Mick.....:mad:

Who do you think is missing next year and who we getting
?

mick Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 542190)
So did our Tigers, Mick.....:mad:

Who do you think is missing next year and who we getting
?

Pitchers, pitchers, pitchers. ;)