The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

grunewar Mon Sep 22, 2008 07:52am

Tribute to Yankee Stadium was nice yesterday. A lot of nostalgia and a great many memories present and on film. Reggie, Yogi, Whitey, Boomer, Don Larson, Tino the Bambino, Willie Randolph, etc. - a lot of generations represented.......

However, honoring look-alike actors, and family members representing the greats was a bit of a stretch and a bit hokie if you ask me. I mean, cheering for someone in a Ruth and Dimagio uniform number? A standing ovation for Mickey Mantle's son as he ran out to center field? Phil Rizzuto and Catfish Hunter's widows as they took the field? I enjoyed the show and seeing the legends, but, that was a bit much for me.......

mick Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07am

Off topic

No Tigers? No Problem.
Matt Millen is packing his bags.:)

Adam Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18am

Is this breaking news, Mick?

BTW, I see the Yankees have been eliminated and Hank has been eating some sour grapes.

mick Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 539038)
Is this breaking news, Mick?

BTW, I see the Yankees have been eliminated and Hank has been eating some sour grapes.

It's pretty current news.
Plus, the Tigers took control of the cellar from the Royals!

ChuckElias Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37am

Sox finally clinch a playoff spot, eliminating the Yankees. (That's just not as much fun to say without Dan around. :( )And Papelbon looked like his old self in getting the 4-out save. Got out of the 8th inning with one pitch and dominated the 3 hitters he faced in the ninth. Okijima also came in with the bases loaded and got out of it without giving up a run. That bodes well.

ChuckElias Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 539035)
No Tigers? No Problem.
Matt Millen is packing his bags.:)

Did Junior finally get Daddy Ford's attention? I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest. But I kind of liked Millen from his TV days, so I'm a little sad for him that he couldn't do a better job.

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 539044)
Did Junior finally get Daddy Ford's attention? I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest. But I kind of liked Millen from his TV days, so I'm a little sad for him that he couldn't do a better job.

The only thing that I can figger is that Millen must have had a picture of Daddy Ford driving a chevvy.

grunewar Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18pm

I think if Millen can/could just hold on a little longer and get to the draft he could take either Passmore, of Marshall or Love, of BallSt (both excellent WR's) and all his problems would be solved! :p

mick Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 539044)

Sho'nuff does look that way.

Adam Wed Sep 24, 2008 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 539043)
Sox finally clinch a playoff spot, eliminating the Yankees. (That's just not as much fun to say without Dan around. :( )

Admittedly, it would much more therapeutic.

Nevadaref Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:45pm

A quirky baseball play for Chuck Elias!

Dodgers @ Giants
Bottom the 6th, runner on first, one out
Bengie Molina hits a deep fly to right. It hits right at the edge of the brick face and green metal top of the wall. It is called a single on the field, and the Giant have runners at the corners.

The ground rules of the park specify that a ball which hits the green metal is a homerun, so the Giants manager disputes the call. Also in a silly move on his part, he replaces Molina with a pinch runner, Emmanuel Burriss, at this time.

The umpires elect to use video to review the call. The call is overturned and ruled a homerun. Emmanuel Burriss is instructed by the umpires to run from first to home. He does so while laughing.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy now comes out and argues that Molina should be allowed to remain in the game, since the pinch runner was unnecessary after the call was reversed and a homerun credited. The umpires say no. Molina has been replaced and is out of the game. Bochy lodges a protest and the game continues under protest following a seven minute delay.

Less important, but not less interesting, is how to score the play. Does Molina get a homerun and two RBIs, but Burriss gets the run scored? Burriss can't get the second RBI as he never batted, right?!?!

Obviously the intelligent thing to do would have been to wait for the outcome of the video review prior to making any changes (similar to the NFHS basketball rule about not granting time-outs while a replacement for a DQ is pending), but neither Bochy nor the umpires went that route. So now we have a nuance to the new video replay rules.

This play reminded me of the homerun last year by a Red Sox player and a runner was injured rounding 2nd base. They had to wait to remove the injured player and put in a pinch runner to finish the play.

ChuckElias Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04am

Sox are in the playoffs and will get the Angels in the first round. The Angels' history against the Sox in the postseason is not good, so this will be an interesting series.

The Rays win the division, which I still can't believe, even though they've been pretty steady all season, with only a couple weeks where they faltered. They'll Chicago or Minnesota. That's a pretty interesting battle in itself.

Phillies clinched the division yesterday, leaving the Mets and Brewers to fight it out for the wild card. Cubbies finish with the best record in the NL.

Sadly, without Dan -- and the Yankees -- around, this thread doesn't seem to generate the interest that it once did. I'll check in a couple times through the playoffs, especially if the Sox make a run at the World Series, but it may have run its course. Either way, enjoy the October baseball!!

BillyMac Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38am

Great Year, For The Red Sox, And All Baseball Fans ...

As the season winds down, despite their second place finish in the division, I feel very good about Boston's season. They have the fourth best record in all of baseball despite injuries to Schilling, Lugo, Ortiz, Lowell, Drew, Casey, Matsuzaka, Beckett, Wakefield, and Youkilis throughout the season. The trade of Ramirez didn't seem to hurt the Sox, although there's talk of Manny getting some MVP votes in the National League. Theo did a nice job picking up Bay, Kotsay, and Byrd to fill some holes during the later part of the season. No matter what happens to the Sox in the playoffs, the future looks bright. Youkilis and Pedroia will both get votes for American League MVP. Although he won't win it, Matsuzaka, will get some votes for Cy Young. Several young players have contributed this season: Lowrie, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Masterson, and Lester; and will be back next year.

As a fan of baseball in general, the playoffs have the potential to be very interesting. Will the Amazing Mets miss the playoffs again. Will the Brewers, a small market team, make the playoffs? The Yankees, without Torre, miss the playoffs, while the Dodgers, with Torre, have the potential to go far. Tampa Bay, and the Twins, both with small payrolls, have done quite well. And, how about those Cubs? Maybe this will be their year, as it was for the Red Sox in 2004. Imagine World Series baseball in Wrigley Field, the second best park in the majors. My supervisor is a bigger Red Sox fan than me (a proud fan since 1967), and he said that even he could get excited about a Cubs championship.

mick Tue Sep 30, 2008 06:58am

Fun !

The White Sox slammed the Detroit Tigers 8-2, forcing a one-game playoff Tuesday night (7:37 ET) at U.S. Cellular Field against the Minnesota Twins. - usatoday.com

Let's see, Gardenhire or Guillen ....
Go Twins.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...x-tigers_N.htm

CoachP Tue Sep 30, 2008 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 540166)
The White Sox slammed the Detroit Tigers 8-2, forcing a one-game playoff Tuesday night (7:37 ET) at U.S. Cellular Field against the Minnesota Twins. - usatoday.com

Let's see, Gardenhire or Guillen ....
Go Twins.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...x-tigers_N.htm

From April 3rd's Baseball prospectus.....

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7307

Tigers in first, Miguel Cabrera MVP and Verlander Cy Young

:eek: