The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

M&M Guy Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 540166)
The White Sox slammed the Detroit Tigers 8-2, forcing a one-game playoff Tuesday night (7:37 ET) at U.S. Cellular Field against the Minnesota Twins. - usatoday.com

Well, look at the bright side - your Tigers were involved in the race to the very end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 540166)
Let's see, Gardenhire or Guillen ....
Go Twins.

I might have to agree with you on this one, even though an all-Chicago Series would be fun to watch.

Ok, my Cubbies have made it to the post-season. I'm doing all I can to help - I've got a goat ready to grill. (I hope it tastes better than crow...)

Adam Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 540188)
Ok, my Cubbies have made it to the post-season. I'm doing all I can to help - I've got a goat ready to grill. (I hope it tastes better <strike>than</strike> with crow...)

Fixed it for you.

M&M Guy Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 540192)
Fixed it for you.

Thanks for the fix. Now I can invite a couple of Cardinal fans over for dinner...

:p

Adam Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 540197)
Thanks for the fix. Now I can invite a couple of Cardinal fans over for dinner...

Always glad to help.

Lcubed48 Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 540197)

I hope that you will be serving that with a nice Chianti!!
I do so prefer Reds.

mick Wed Oct 01, 2008 05:51am

One Thome run was all it took.

M&M Guy Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 540394)
I hope that you will be serving that with a nice Chianti!!
I do so prefer Reds.

C'mon now, you should know you don't serve red wine with fowl.

And there ain't nothin' more foul than a Cardinal... :p

M&M Guy Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 540400)
One Thome run was all it took.

If you would've told me the White Sox were only going to score 1 run, I would've told you it was going to be an easy Twins victory, especially when they started showing some of the lifetime stats of some of the Twins players against Danks. But that's why baseball is such a great game.

The White Sox were the first team in history to win the final three games of the season against three different opponents.

Also, this is the first time since 1906 that both Chicago teams are in the post-season at the same time. That was the year Susan B. Anthony was born, the Panama Canal was being contructed, and Jurassic was finally graduating from high school, I believe.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 540427)
and Jurassic was finally graduating from high school, I believe.

He graduated? :confused:

M&M Guy Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 540434)
He graduated? :confused:

The stone tablets are a little unclear about that, but I just made the assumption he did.

Adam Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 540438)
The stone tablets are a little unclear about that, but I just made the assumption he did.

The archaeological digs support your assumption.

grunewar Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:58am

For all the long suffereing Cubs Fans.....are other's worse off?

From Today's USAToday (excerpt below)

".........After all, the Cubs are in the playoffs for the fourth time in 11 years. They've at least made it to the NL Championship Series three times. They've fallen short in painful fashion, but have sports fans in other cities suffered more even if not longer?

How about followers of the Milwaukee Brewers, who went 26 years without even a playoff appearance before this year? Or those in Washington, D.C., who have had their October calendars clear every year since 1933. Not only have they lost two teams in the interim, the franchise in town now hasn't been to the playoffs since 1981, when it was in Montreal.

And maybe it has been worse for sports fans in San Diego, Cleveland and Buffalo, who have not celebrated a world championship in any major professional sport in more than 40 years......."

Entire article is at: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...Cubspain_N.htm

Lcubed48 Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&m guy (Post 540426)
c'mon now, you should know you don't serve red wine with fowl. :p

Well, that used to be the line from all the experts. Now, that is no longer etched in stone. It's all about the wine, the food, and how they relate. Wines depending on the varietal and style used to produce that wine are more important than the old rule of thumb - whites with white meat and reds with red meat. I suggest that you try a nice light pinot or maybe a soft merlot with your dish.

tjones1 Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:39pm

More stadiums...

In the closing weekend of the season, I made a trip up north to take two more stadiums off my list. For the season, I have visted ten different stadiums.

Over the weekend, on Saturday I saw the Indians do battle with the White Sox at US Cellular Field. Fairly nice pack, and I enjoyed my time there.

After the game, we headed up to Milwaukee for Sunday's action. I saw the Cubs and Brewers iron it out at Miller Park. In addition, I was able to see a pitching clinic put on by CC Sabathia.

Miller Park is an extremely nice place!! If you get a chance, I would suggest going.

JRutledge Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:14pm

It does not look like this is the year. :D

Peace