The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
so what was wrong with one of the other refs giving factual information and then the call possibly could have been changed. I've seen fouls changed this year that have nothing to do with the restricted area. From the information Delaney had he thought he was making the correct call and I do not blame him for making it. But he did not have the whole picture. The replay shows that. I simply feel his partners could have stepped in.
I am absolutely sure that you haven't seen a block/charge changed if it wasn't one of these two scenarios:

1. It involved the restricted area under the basket.

2. There was a double-whistle and they got together before giving a preliminary.

Fouls are judgement calls that simply don't get "changed" like that.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
so what was wrong with one of the other refs giving factual information and then the call possibly could have been changed. I've seen fouls changed this year that have nothing to do with the restricted area. From the information Delaney had he thought he was making the correct call and I do not blame him for making it. But he did not have the whole picture. The replay shows that. I simply feel his partners could have stepped in.
You are saying that just because we have a different look that means that our information is "factual."

I am really starting to see why you are getting all the crap that you are. That is completely absurd. And if you do not know why, then that tells me all I need to know about your vast officiating knowledge.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm using the factual part as a response to BadNews post. my example of the backcourt call when I gave information to get the call changed.
The fact on this play is Delaney did not see the whole play. Just look at the replay and defend it. Disagree all you want but I would have loved to see the other refs step in. If the call stands then that is fine but just because someone calls the fouls doesn't mean it can't be changed even at the nba level .
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm using the factual part as a response to BadNews post. my example of the backcourt call when I gave information to get the call changed.
The fact on this play is Delaney did not see the whole play. Just look at the replay and defend it. Disagree all you want but I would have loved to see the other refs step in. If the call stands then that is fine but just because someone calls the fouls doesn't mean it can't be changed even at the nba level .
I just can't wait for the time when you're using your "superior judgement" in a game to call a foul on a block, and the veteran official you're calling with catches you on the way to the table and says, "Hey, breeze, that looked really clean to me. I think we should waive that foul off and we'll go to the arrow."

Let me know how those conversations go.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Disagree all you want but I would have loved to see the other refs step in. If the call stands then that is fine but just because someone calls the fouls doesn't mean it can't be changed even at the nba level .
Hey, try it out next year. Go change a few of your partner's foul calls.Don't forget to let us know how it turns out too.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am really starting to see why you are getting all the crap that you are. That is completely absurd. And if you do not know why, then that tells me all I need to know about your vast officiating knowledge.
You gotta admit the lad is consistent though.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You gotta admit the lad is consistent though.
Coaches must love him if he's consistent. It's "all they want" in officials.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

NBA is a fraud

I refuse to watch that garbage. I always said it was rigged and then when it came out it was I had a big laugh. It should be for entertainment purposes only. The refs should wear rainbow wigs and a red rubber nose because the NBA is a CIRCUS!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I actually think nba refs are great most of the time. I missed most of the Suns-Spurs series and all that hoopla. Unlike most fans the only time I thought the officials were favoring a team was during the Trailblazers-Lakers series about 6 years ago. Of course there was that incident during Kareem Abdul-Jabbar farewell game...
Kareem:- "Are you nuts? It's my farewell game."
Ref "Well then, let me be the first to say, 'Farewell!"
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Show me an official that allows you to change a your block into a charge without a double whistle and i will show you a dumb @$$
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Could Happen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
What factual information can a partner give to overturn a blocking call in college/HS ball?
After double whistle:

Partner: "I saw your blocking foul, but I had a travel before your foul"

Me: "Thanks for the information. Travel. Blue ball"
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you ever think that it's possible the Trail didn't see the whole play? If you look at the play again, he's responsible for the 5 second count, plus there was a lot of screening action going on in the line of players at the beginning of the IB play. You would be hard pressed to find an official coming in to overrule another official, or even give another official information, if he/she didn't see the entire play -- especially in a foul/judgment call situation.

Also, there is no camera angle from Delaney's position -- it's more likely than not that he saw something on the "middle of the court side" that the camera angle and the trail couldn't see. Bob Delaney is not going to just make a call up, especially with 4 seconds left in an OT game.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
Out of the three officials, T has the best view of this play, no?
Suppose that's true. It doesn't mean that trail was looking there (especially if the play was out of his area). It also doesn't mean L didn't see something T missed (if not on this play, then in general). So T trusts L to make the call. It's what is best for teh game overall, even if it results in a "missed call" this time. And, even if it is a missed call, so what? mistakes happen. Get over it.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course there was that incident during Kareem Abdul-Jabbar farewell game...
Kareem:- "Are you nuts? It's my farewell game."
Ref "Well then, let me be the first to say, 'Farewell!"

Actually not a bad movie....I just hope Breeze knows its from a movie......
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 08:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The angle that I saw, you do not see the entire play. I only saw the very end. Also the T if not mistaken was on the out of bounds play looking at the thrower and the Lead was looking at the players on the court. I tend to believe that the lead saw everything rather than part of the play. Now, if you do not like the call that is your issue. That does not mean the NBA thought it was a bad call or that the officials working the game did either. And I bet they are much more qualified than you are to evaluate the play.

The bottom line is you do not have the experience to evaluate, because you probably do not even know the mechanics involved. If you did, then it would not be a problem to see how the call was made. In my opinion something needed to be called and likely the official saw everything and you are reacting to the media that knows nothing.

Peace