The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

backcourt- kobe, lakers game

I was telling someone about this today actually and then it appears in a game. A lot of people don't know that it is backcourt even though the defense hit it. looking at it again I'm not sure if it was touched or not but Kobe hit it last even if it was

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280206001
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
I was telling someone about this today actually and then it appears in a game. A lot of people don't know that it is backcourt even though the defense hit it. looking at it again I'm not sure if it was touched or not but Kobe hit it last even if it was

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280206001
Got bad news for you. The NBA rule is NOT the same as the NCAA and NFHS one. The play that you are describing in the NBA is not a violation. The article states that the defender did NOT touch the ball in that NBA play.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

from what I thought it is a backcourt if the defender hits it but if it hits the offensive player again and then goes into the backcourt it is a violation in high school and NCAA. So the NBA doesn't have that rule? Kind of makes sense to me actually. but whatever lakers lose.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
from what I thought it is a backcourt if the defender hits it but if it hits the offensive player again and then goes into the backcourt it is a violation in high school and NCAA. So the NBA doesn't have that rule? Kind of makes sense to me actually. but whatever lakers lose.
In the NBA team control ends when a defender knocks the ball away. They have a concept called a "loose ball" that the NCAA and NFHS rules do not. Thus there is no backcourt violation during this "loose ball" in an NBA game.

This is the very reason that so many fans wrongly scream at the NCAA and NFHS officials when they correctly call a bc violation after the defender knocks the ball off of the dribbler's leg. In this case, you are doing the opposite and approaching an NBA game while thinking that the NCAA and NFHS rule applies. It doesn't.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I saw the play your talking about with Kobe. The referee called the violation because Kobe established possession in the front court and then went into the backcourt. You could verbally see Kobe talking to the official that he never had possession of the ball (in the frontcourt) after the defender knocked the ball away, but he had possession took a step, dribbled once, and then the second dribble went into the backcourt.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at the play (also the article) Defense did not touch it... It is back court... If the defense did touch it (loose ball) Kobe dribbled it one in FC, then went back...

Good call either way!