The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:39pm
Jerry Blum

Intentional Foul???

Kentucky vs. Marquette - Late in the game Ky. fouling away from the ball. Should this be intentional or not? Had always thought I heard this would be intentional but not being called this way in this game.

** Edit - Ball on one side of the court player that was fouled on opposite side of the lane. No ball anywhere near player that was fouled.

Last edited by Jerry Blum; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 03:44pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the actual foul. I don't want it to be automatic, but if I'm officiating the end of the game I'm watching those fouls very closely.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 04:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've heard that they're automatic, but that may be a past interp that is no longer valid. I'd prefer they be left to out judgment, though. Agree with jdw, watch 'em closely.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I wouldn't say it should have been automatic. It looked to me like it could have been just a bad screen/guard type thing.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
Kentucky vs. Marquette - Late in the game Ky. fouling away from the ball. Should this be intentional or not? Had always thought I heard this would be intentional but not being called this way in this game.

** Edit - Ball on one side of the court player that was fouled on opposite side of the lane. No ball anywhere near player that was fouled.
Yes. Two in a row should have been intentional. Away from the ball and they were INTENTIONALLY fouling the worst free throw shooter. The no-calls allowed Kentucky to get back in the game as he missed 3 out of 4.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Yes. Two in a row should have been intentional. Away from the ball and they were INTENTIONALLY fouling the worst free throw shooter. The no-calls allowed Kentucky to get back in the game as he missed 3 out of 4.
No, they were STRATEGICALLY fouling the worst free throw shooter. If the ref thinks it's the sort of action that might have been committed in an attempt to break up the play, rather than a grab from behind or a bear hug type foul, it doesn't HAVE to be called Intentional.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 04:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
No, they were STRATEGICALLY fouling the worst free throw shooter. If the ref thinks it's the sort of action that might have been committed in an attempt to break up the play, rather than a grab from behind or a bear hug type foul, it doesn't HAVE to be called Intentional.

OOOHH! A post from Juulie that mentions both a grab from behind and a bear hug. Be still my heart.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 12:35am
We don't rent pigs

Didn't have the best look at either, but on the second one it looks like a defender pawing at a guy 30-40 feet from the ball and running away from the play. Looked like either intentional or ignore it to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game, and my initial reaction was that both fouls should have been called intentional. The NCAA definition of intentional foul includes "fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting." As I recall, on the first foul, a Marquette player secured the ball and the defenders ran away from him and toward the 50% foul shooter. On the second foul, the ball was near the top of the key and the 50% guy was running across the endline with the defender chasing him. It was obvious what Kentucky was doing, and they darn near pulled it off. I'll bet we see that series of plays on the NCAA training film next year.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Gillispie = Genius

Isn't this the same team that GT'd a free-throw?

I wish one of them would of boned the play.

"I didn't know that was the rule, either."