The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I had a coach use a similar line on me earlier this year after a youth game: "You stole the game from us", referring to a no-call I had on a desperation/hail-mary three-quarter court length shot by 1 of his kids at the end of the game. Defense was full-court pressing, and any contact was initiated by the shooter.

Of course, coach didn't mention about how they had a 1 point lead with 10 seconds to go, along with 3 possessions (including a controversial AP situation in which his team benefitted and got the ball) and bricked 4 free throws.

Still makes me laugh when I think about it...
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
RefTip - I just don't agree with your text in red... if we're going to enforce it, lets do it right! Because when officials like myself work the next game (after yours) we don't want to have to explain why 2 coaches will not be standing for THIS ballgame. Regardless of what took place last time.
Fwiw, I agree with that. If you set the bar up front, you can still use a little personal discretion later if an assistant is standing.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

My question is whether there was a time earlier when the coaches should have been warned or whacked? If they were that out of line at the end of the game I would guess there may have been an opportunity to take care of business earlier. Don't worry about the "coach" telling you he didn't want you on his games again. There are plenty of other games out there and they are much more fun to work than 6th graders. The first few incidents with a coach will rattle you a little, but it does get easier with experience.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Fwiw, I agree with that. If you set the bar up front, you can still use a little personal discretion later if an assistant is standing.
Funny, just had this happen yesterday in a 6th grade travel tourney. Both teams' coaches HC and AC were standing and I respectfully and casually told them only one HC could stand. They both complied. There seems to be a correlation ,the younger the kids, the more coaches want to stand.

Agreed on telling them early.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Funny, just had this happen yesterday in a 6th grade travel tourney. Both teams' coaches HC and AC were standing and I respectfully and casually told them only one HC could stand. They both complied. There seems to be a correlation ,the younger the kids, the more coaches want to stand.

Agreed on telling them early.
I was working a highly competetive all-star travel game with the area's top talent ( ) a while back, it was like 7th or 6th grade AAU. Coach asks me if it's ok if his assistant stands because...well because they forgot to put chairs in the gym that morning. I'm impressed, tell him sure, stand all you like, thanks for asking.

2 minutes in assistant is screaming his head off about something, I stopped the game and told HC to control his bench. He says "but you said he could stand!"

Stupid monkey
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You forgot the part where you told him to fk off.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You forgot the part where you told him to fk off.

Or he could stand.............on his head.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

RefTip - I just don't agree with your text in red... if we're going to enforce it, lets do it right! Because when officials like myself work the next game (after yours) we don't want to have to explain why 2 coaches will not be standing for THIS ballgame. Regardless of what took place last time.
Other than that good advice.[/QUOTE]

CH1town,

You have a good point,,,, I'll need to revisit my approach a bit . I was basically trying to do what Snaqwells described (to let them know I know the rules without them losing face). I had such good results with it this year that I forgot to realize how it would affect the next crew.

Thanks for the reply

Tip
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 01:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
rewind to about a minute left... both coaches are sceaming about how we aren't calling enough. I do somthing.. not in the book. I go up to both of them and say coaches... I'll talk about calls but dont scream at me. Now.. I should have T'd them up right there, but it was a tight game for the championship and I figured.. I'd warn them.
Too late for a warning. You have played the entire game and I suspect that they didn't just start screaming at you that minute.

At this point either ignore it (especially if you have been allowing it all game) or give a technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
"You cost us the championship... you'll never work one of my games again" 2.4 seconds left.. I should have T'd him and I let it go.... i'm not sure why..
I'd probably avoid the technical with just 2.4 left too unless it was something that just couldn't be ignored.

This coach needs a good lesson in perspective because he has none.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

"You cost us the championship"

If that was the case, could you win him a championship?
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Nicely Put Ranjo

You have hit the nail on the head.... I don't remember missing those 12 foul shots...
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:03pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
The game is won or loss during the whole game while we are constantly making judgement calls about what to penalize and what to let go. ... Everybody remembers that last shot or whatever that happens at the end of a close game, but that's not what wins or loses games.
That's good in theory, but the reality is that if we are perfect for the entire game, but we screw up in the last minute or two, that is what everyone is going to remember.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That's good in theory, but the reality is that if we are perfect for the entire game, but we screw up in the last minute or two, that is what everyone is going to remember.
Yup.

Was once told that people remember the tone that you set (first 4 minutes of the game) and how you end the game (last 4 minutes).
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:31pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Yup.

Was once told that people remember the tone that you set (first 4 minutes of the game) and how you end the game (last 4 minutes).
Same thing for athletes. It doesn't matter if you have 50 points in a game -- if you miss the game winning shot / free throw, that is ALL people are going to remember.

If we get every call, but make a horrible call / non-call at the end of a game, that is what is going to be in people's minds or (if you are really unlucky) on SportsCenter.