View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

BeerFanmike20,

I work quite a bit of youth ball because I really enjoy the kids, so I've been in your shoes . This year I employed a new technique with youth ball and it worked great all year long. Coach's / Captains meetings ( used in all games ) : I tell the coaches that " I realize this is not HS ball, so we'll allow both the HC and AC to be up " coaching " as long as they stay in the box . IF things get heated then I will ask the assistant coach to sit and we will follow HS rules." I tell the kids that when we blow the whistle to immediately let go of the ball b/c we've already made our decision and we don't want anyone to get hurt.

If a coach gets out of line or " chirpy " I then bench the AC and follow my normal routine : Stop sign ....then technical ........... Once the AC has been benched I don't hesitate to T the coach up if needed.

This pre-game meeting has really made a dramatic difference in how the coaches and kids behave. Most of the " coaches" do not have a clue that the AC can't stand or what the coach's box is. So what it has done has educated them somewhat, and set an expectation of how things will go if things get " heated ".

My first youth tournament this year ( using this method ) I had my first T of the year and my first compliment . Parents of both the winning and losing team liked that I " took control " of the game.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what worked for me. Again, after I bench the AC I don't give them an inch.

Tip

BTW - I guess all of the kids made their FT's and didn't miss any layups --- but you cost them the game ????

Last edited by RefTip; Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 04:48pm.