The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Tip Question

Here is what happened -

Ball thrown up, both slap, and pin ball against each others hand.
As their feet touch the floor, both slap again, and pin ball against each others hand (about face level). One wises up, and slaps the ball from the side, and it goes to a teammate.

In this sitch a re-jump was called.

Would you call a re-jump in this sitch?

If you wouldn't, could you give examples of what would have to happen for a re-jump.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65
Here is what happened -

Ball thrown up, both slap, and pin ball against each others hand.
As their feet touch the floor, both slap again, and pin ball against each others hand (about face level). One wises up, and slaps the ball from the side, and it goes to a teammate.

In this sitch a re-jump was called.

Would you call a re-jump in this sitch?

If you wouldn't, could you give examples of what would have to happen for a re-jump.
If both were holding the ball when they landed, re-jump. OTherwise, it sounds like one of the jumpers tapped the ball three times -- that's a violation.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

One official did call a violation, one called re-jump.

I wouldn't swear in a court of law, but I think they both touched the ball three times, It's just that one of them whacked it from the side.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65
Bob,

One official did call a violation, one called re-jump.

I wouldn't swear in a court of law, but I think they both touched the ball three times, It's just that one of them whacked it from the side.
Whackid it from the side while also touching it from the frnt ? Wouldn'tr thatalso be a vilaotion? two hands?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikBoom
Whackid it from the side while also touching it from the frnt ? Wouldn'tr thatalso be a vilaotion? two hands?
Two hands? Never heard any restrictions on the number of hands used to tap the ball.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

When they pinned it against each other, I'd go with a held ball...rejump.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Two hands? Never heard any restrictions on the number of hands used to tap the ball.
Didn't we also have an old thread where someone tried to assert that touching the ball with both hands simultaneously was the same as touching the ball twice? Iirc, they tried to say it was a violation if the jumper then touched the ball again before the jump ball ended.

Silly monkey.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Didn't we also have an old thread where someone tried to assert that touching the ball with both hands simultaneously was the same as touching the ball twice? Iirc, they tried to say it was a violation if the jumper then touched the ball again before the jump ball ended.

Silly monkey.
I don't recall such a thread but I'm sure its possible.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Silly monkey.
My typing isnt' always the best and it takes time to go back and fx things, but could you plese respnd to my thinking instead of my typing? Are you calling me a silly monkey? I ddnt assert ahything, just asked a question. Why am i silly?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My typing isnt' always the best and it takes time to go back and fx things, but could you plese respnd to my thinking instead of my typing? Are you calling me a silly monkey? I ddnt assert ahything, just asked a question. Why am i silly?
He did respond to your thinking, he didn't say a word about your typing.

He's saying this: To suggest that touching the ball with both hands at the same time is the same thing as hitting it twice is overthinking it. It is, in essence, a silly thing to think.

He's also saying you're not the first to suggest it.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I responded to Camron, not to you. And what I responded on to Camron had nothing to do with you or any of your posts. It was in reference to an old thread.

Your comprehension is as bad as your typing.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Two hands simultaneously" is not a violation. There's a specific case on this. (I don't have my books handy) One hand followed by the other, even while the first is on the ball is, I think, two taps.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:19am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
"Two hands simultaneously" is not a violation. There's a specific case on this.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
"Two hands simultaneously" is not a violation. There's a specific case on this. (I don't have my books handy) One hand followed by the other, even while the first is on the ball is, I think, two taps.
Yup, case book play 6.3.7...says that simultaneous touching counts as one touch.....the second separate touch after the simultaneous touch is then a violation.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for the rule. Thank you for the not- sarcasm. I do have a couple of "processing disorders" when it comes to conversation, and I thought this might be a good place to practice discussion skills. But mocking and sneering aren't helpful, so I don't know if I'll be back...