The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

This happened four times in a row...

Girls varsity game last week, I was administering a designated spot throw-in, team A is inbounding, as I am reaching 3-4 seconds on my 5 second count, the team A player throws the ball at the team B player's legs, causing an out-of-bounds off the team B player. After the fourth time, I told the team A player, "You know, I'm starting to wonder if you are intentionally trying to avoid the 5 second count by not inbounding the ball or taking a time out." She must have understood my veiled threat, because she then inbounded the ball, and we moved on. Was this good game management on my part? Did I have the right to T her if it happened again? My partner told me that team A's coach then asked her what I said, but the coach did not approach either of us about it. The game was dead in the water while this was going on, the clock wasn't running, we were just wasting time. What would you have done? How about this variant. Two of the times, the defensive player had her back to the team A player, and was struck in the back of her legs by the throw-in, hard!!! Any different call there?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclasalle
Girls varsity game last week, I was administering a designated spot throw-in, team A is inbounding, as I am reaching 3-4 seconds on my 5 second count, the team A player throws the ball at the team B player's legs, causing an out-of-bounds off the team B player. After the fourth time, I told the team A player, "You know, I'm starting to wonder if you are intentionally trying to avoid the 5 second count by not inbounding the ball or taking a time out." She must have understood my veiled threat, because she then inbounded the ball, and we moved on. Was this good game management on my part? Did I have the right to T her if it happened again? My partner told me that team A's coach then asked her what I said, but the coach did not approach either of us about it. The game was dead in the water while this was going on, the clock wasn't running, we were just wasting time. What would you have done? How about this variant. Two of the times, the defensive player had her back to the team A player, and was struck in the back of her legs by the throw-in, hard!!! Any different call there?

RobertCLasalle:

I don't understand what the problem was. A1 was not doing anything prohibited by rule. She could do it all night if she wanted to do it. I think you were trying to enforce a rule that does not exist.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Like MTD, JR said

What rule was she violating?

I do not view your actions as "aggregious", but I would not make a threat as an official, especially when you do not have a rule to support your action.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclasalle
The inbounder is expected to be attempting to avoid the 5 second count violation. That is his/her job.

Why are you threatening the inbounder with a T? Her action is perfectly legal. If B1 doesn't want the ball to be thrown off of her legs she can avoid it by getting out of the way or moving away from the inbounder. A T here would be bogus.

You were totally wrong.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree
"aggregious"

egregious
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I was told this story, but I'm not 100% sure it is true. AAU game, Team A is thumping Team B by a large margin, 40 or more points. Late in the game, Team A is still pressing full court, lots of pressure, etc. Team B is attempting to inbound the ball, spot throw-in. Team A player (son of coach) is right in the inbounder's face putting pressure. Team B coach calls timeout. In timeout, he instructs his player to throw the ball as hard as he can at Team A player's face if he is still putting pressure on the throw-in. Team B player obliges, twice, supposedly bloodying the kid's nose. Team A coach looks at Team B coach after the second time and says, "I get it" and calls off the press. If you were officiating the game what would have been your response?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
I was told this story, but I'm not 100% sure it is true. AAU game, Team A is thumping Team B by a large margin, 40 or more points. Late in the game, Team A is still pressing full court, lots of pressure, etc. Team B is attempting to inbound the ball, spot throw-in. Team A player (son of coach) is right in the inbounder's face putting pressure. Team B coach calls timeout. In timeout, he instructs his player to throw the ball as hard as he can at Team A player's face if he is still putting pressure on the throw-in. Team B player obliges, twice, supposedly bloodying the kid's nose. Team A coach looks at Team B coach after the second time and says, "I get it" and calls off the press. If you were officiating the game what would have been your response?
It wouldn't have taken twice, but my response would have been to assess a flagrant technical foul to the thrower.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

egregious
Nah. I've seen much worse misspellings
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It wouldn't have taken twice, but my response would have been to assess a flagrant technical foul to the thrower.
And if I knew for sure that the coach instructed the player to do this, I'd toss the coach too.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 01:34am
M.A.S.H.

What NV and BITS said.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
And if I knew for sure that the coach instructed the player to do this, I'd toss the coach too.
Great point, BITS.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 08:21am
Lighten up, Francis.

This relates only indirectly to the original post, but it was one of the funnier things I saw this season. I was watching the girls JV game before my game. There is a loose ball on the floor in the lane. A girl from the offensive team drops to her knees and secures the ball. Seeing that she has no one to pass to, she throws the ball off a defender's leg, intending to bounce it out of bounds.

Smart play!

Except that she's not very good at geometry and the ball bounces directly back to her. Convinced that her strategy is a sound one, she is undaunted as she again throws the ball off the same defender's leg. Who would've guessed that the ball would again bounce directly back to her, still kneeling in the lane?!?!

The official reluctantly called 3 seconds.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Oh Scrappy you just crack me up.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
Seen a similar thing, player dribbles up then intentionally throws the ball hard in the defensive players face. I called a D and reported her, she got a two month suspension from all play.
There is a huge diffrence between this play and the one in the first post. If the team play good D and you can't get it in, it's just smart to throw it of the opponents leg. And since this is legal you can't do anything about it unless theplayer taking the throw-in is trying to hurt the defensive player like in the second case. But then you aldready know my answer...
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
I called a D and reported her, she got a two month suspension from all play.
Wow, what's the penalty for an E?