The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

NBA blarge

SportsCenter just showed that the refs had a blarge in the Celtics/Warriors game.
They apparently went with a block as 2 FTs were awarded.

I don't know the NBA rule.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:39am
In Memoriam

NBA rule 4-19-3..."When officials make conflicting calls in a block/charge situation, the foul shall always be charged to the player that has the lower STAR rating."

It's true, it's true.......
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NBA rule 4-19-3..."When officials make conflicting calls in a block/charge situation, the foul shall always be charged to the player that has the lower STAR rating."

Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Let's see? Paul Pierce shot the free throws. Al Harrington pick up a blocking foul. Maybe you're on to something?

BTW, the collision happened right in front of the basket but outside the "block/charge" arc (or whatever they call it). Lead had a Charge, C came in with a block.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Let's see? Paul Pierce shot the free throws. Al Harrington pick up a blocking foul. Maybe you're on to something?

BTW, the collision happened right in front of the basket but outside the "block/charge" arc (or whatever they call it). Lead had a Charge, C came in with a block.
NBA rule 4-19-3.AR1--If both players are stars, i.e are rated in the top 10% of all active players by ESPN, then the player with the lesser number of fouls in that game will be charged with the foul."

It's true, it's true.....
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

Good one!! Truer words have probably never been posted to this forum......
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

My original reaction when I saw the hilights was "Charge" and a great call by the Lead.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Rule 12-B, Section VI:

f. If a double foul occurs as a result of a difference in opinion by the officials, no points can be scored and play shall resume with a jump ball at the center circle between any two opponents in the game at that time. No substitute may participate in the jump ball.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
My original reaction when I saw the hilights was "Charge" and a great call by the Lead.
It was a block because Harrington's right heel is on the restricted circle's line. If this was a high school or college game then it would be a Player Control. The Lead came out with the signal before the C but the C had a good look at his right heel and signaled a block even though his partner was calling a PC. This was a good job by the C to get the play right.

I can't imagine having to referee a play like that and also having to look at his feet to see if he is on the line.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Anyone find a YouTube link?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Anyone find a YouTube link?
You can see it on ESPN - link
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Definitely was a block, but by rule, they administered it incorrectly.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

great call by Mike Callahan. Defenders Right heel was in the restricted area. This is not a blarge. If an official is ruling on a play just on the basis that a block/charge is involving the restricted area and the restricted area alone the other officials may come to the official who made the call and give extra information. For example, if Lead has an offensive foul and it WAS an RA play, and the slot sees that his heel was raised but over the RA line then he may come to the lead and say, "John, I have white #42 with his heels raised in the RA, it should be a block." There is rarely, if ever, any debate. The Lead changes the call and awards the free throws.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
If an official is ruling on a play just on the basis that a block/charge is involving the restricted area and the restricted area alone the other officials may come to the official who made the call and give extra information.
You know what? That's right. I forgot about that. I think there's a ruling about a difference of opinion NOT involving the Restricted Area. I had forgotten about that. Excellent point.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
great call by Mike Callahan. Defenders Right heel was in the restricted area. This is not a blarge. If an official is ruling on a play just on the basis that a block/charge is involving the restricted area and the restricted area alone the other officials may come to the official who made the call and give extra information. For example, if Lead has an offensive foul and it WAS an RA play, and the slot sees that his heel was raised but over the RA line then he may come to the lead and say, "John, I have white #42 with his heels raised in the RA, it should be a block." There is rarely, if ever, any debate. The Lead changes the call and awards the free throws.
Completely agree.

The same should happen in our Fed games if a player taking a charge was standing on the OOB line and two conflicting signals happen. If one officials shares with the other that B was OOB, then by rule you have a block. Now, if the PC official's judgment remains that B was IB, then I think you have to go with the DF.

That NBA crew looked great getting the call correct.