The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Why We Ref

I work with a guy who is about 73 years old or so. The last 2 years he has slowed down, alot.

No one has the heart to tell him, but coaches are complaining at every level. Our association has limited his Varsity games ( we work 3 man Varsity ) so, varsity games are easier for him to work and easier for us to help him out. So , he does a lot more 2 man games with younger officials. That's harder on both of them. I know the board doesn't want him to come back next year. Any way, here's my point.

Why does he continue to referee? He has loads of money. It's not the money. He has been a boss in many jobs. It's not the power ( he never has called a "T" in nearly 40 years. ) He does it for the friendships with other refs. If he wasn't refereeing, he would be sitting at home and dying. He would be lonely, his family is grown. He works part time, so he has that. But he referees all year round. Most years he does more than 100 games. This year about 45 to 50. Everyone loves him, but his time has past.

How would you want it broke to you if you hit that point?

Why do you referee?

I love the friendships with other refs but I love basketball itself. I played in high school, Rec league and coached and owned a team. If I felt I wasn't able to hold my own I would want smeone to tell me. There are other things we can do and stay involved.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 01:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
How would you want it broke to you if you hit that point?
I have no idea. Sounds like a tough situation. I think this might be a job for the assignors to handle depending on games are assigned.

Quote:
Why do you referee?
I officiate because I love the sports I am officiating. I love the challenge to do a good job night in and night out. And I love the pressure that officiating brings. And mostly I love to meet new people on a regular basis and I officiate with and getting to know great people from all walks of life. That is pretty much it.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
There are other things we can do and stay involved.
And someone in your association should get him involved.....mentoring, evaluating, etc.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And someone in your association should get him involved.....mentoring, evaluating, etc.
I agree. But we have no evaluators. they were removed and done away with about 5 years ago. makes it harder to move up now and that's what they powers that be wanted.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

I know the feeling. I worked with a gentleman (71 years) at a 7th/8th doubleheader. In the combination of both games, he blew his whistle seven times. When this gentleman was in his "prime" as an official, he worked two state championship games.

Here is an idea... why don't you see if the gentleman would be interested in riding along with you to the games, but not actually work. That way he is still exposed to the friendships and can also see basketball games.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are other things we can do and stay involved.
That is what I would want to hear. There is certainly a time when stepping off the court is the right thing to do.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

PS This is one reason that I believe that an age limit is a necessity for a HS association. It saves a great deal of hassle.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I agree. But we have no evaluators. they were removed and done away with about 5 years ago. makes it harder to move up now and that's what they powers that be wanted.
Wow! That doesn't make sense imo. The whole idea of evaluation isn't really to worry about anyone "moving up". The idea should be to increase the skill level of all officials and also to ensure that proper mechanics, interpretations, new rules, etc. are being practiced by everybody. There's really no down side to evaluations imo if they are done positively and consistently.

Whatintheheck is your association thinking of? Any reason(s) they quit doing them?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
PS This is one reason that I believe that an age limit is a necessity for a HS association. It saves a great deal of hassle.
Naw, I don't agree with that. Every official is different. I knew when it was time for me to back off. However, there are officials here older than I am that are still reliable and able to do the job. It just depends on the person.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

how appropriate for this thread - in my mail the other day was the Officials Quarterly by NFHS - an article titled "why don't they retire - by longtime football official Jerry Sulecki. Although he doesn't give a clear decision on how to answer this - I agree with a quote "Officiating is not something I do - it's what I am. Officiating defines and dominates my life". Maybe thats why its tough to give it up. It doesn't seem like anyone side of the equation; assignor, association or official can come up with an easy answer to determine when it is time to retire.

There are a couple of older (70+) officials in my association and they still TRY to officiate. I am on the younger side of my group and have been at this for 13 years. I am poised and ready to take on more challenges IF these officials would/could realize that their time has passed. I worked with one last year and he told me "that he had cataract surgery, a bad hip and would not be switching on any fouls" - that may work with him with the coaches but it certainly would not work for me as I am still earning coaches respect.

On the flip side I worked with an official last year who let it be known that it would be his "farewell tour" as he felt that it was time and wanted to go out on his terms. I left that game with the utmost respect and admiration for that official AND thinking "thats the way I want to leave the game".
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
I worked with one last year and he told me "that he had cataract surgery, a bad hip and would not be switching on any fouls" - that may work with him ...
If he can't do the job properly, then he needs to stop. That is unacceptable. He needs to pull his own weight. I don't care what the coaches think. What about what his fellow officials think?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I don't agree with that. Every official is different. I knew when it was time for me to back off. However, there are officials here older than I am that are still reliable and able to do the job. It just depends on the person.
And if each person is judged upon merit that's fine, but the problem is that they are not. I've seen certain old-timers get preferential treatment while others were not dealt with in the same manner.
Friendships and other such factors enter into it and that is where the system breaks down.

Pass a fitness test, pass a rules test, pass an eye exam, earn a certain score from an objective evaluation on the court...and I'd be fine with it, but we both know that isn't what happens in most places.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Pass a fitness test, pass a rules test, pass an eye exam, earn a certain score from an objective evaluation on the court...and I'd be fine with it, but we both know that isn't what happens in most places.
I've worked with officials that weren't particularly fit, never had good marks on the exam and didn't have good eyesight either. They sureasheck could pass an objective evaluation test though because they were great officials.

I could care less if an official can run like a deer, see everything and get 100% on all their exams. I care if they can officiate. Being pretty don't mean squat.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I referee because:

(1) Love for the game.
(2) To assist the kids in sportmanship
(3) To piss off coaches
(4) Because the wife saves my regular paycheck like a bank(without any interest) and I don't have any money for gas!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I ref for the money and the groupies.

Seriously though, I hope when/if I am no longer capable of doing "the job" and if I personally don't see it, someone has the "stones" to take me aside and let me know. It's called "tough love."

As a manager for many yrs you need to counsel, mentor, provide evaluations, tell people they're not going to get promoted or a raise, etc. Tough, but it must be done. Those Sr. in the Association's should have this responsibility - gotta take the good with the bad. JMO