The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TheViper
Exclamation Flop -- Technical?

I'm new, witnessed a technical foul because a kid flopped when attempting to draw a charge. What's the rule on this?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
So, I think what you're saying is that you're a new ref? And you were watching a game? And a player "flopped" and received a T?

It's certainly within the rules to give a technical for flopping. Different refs handle it different ways, but there's nothing wrong with giving a technical. Especially if a player's been warned once. It would help us decide if this is the best call if you gave a few more details.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

It's unsporting to fake being fouled. There used to be a case play on it but it's been removed. Seldom called, but possible.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper
I'm new, witnessed a technical foul because a kid flopped when attempting to draw a charge. What's the rule on this?
The only charge being drawn is when i offer to buy my GF a pair of shoes -- that should be techincal
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

I don't mind a few flops here and there but I've seen one team in particular where they kept doing and I really wish a T had been called. Go to Europe, especially Portugal and play soccer sissies.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I acctually saw a yellow card being handed out in a soccer game yesterday for flopping
Falling to fake a foul (flopping) is a technical foul
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
.....but there's nothing wrong with giving a technical. Especially if a player's been warned once.
I coached, and then was an opposing coach for player (very small guard) who would charge down the lane and try to draw a foul and go to the line. He would fall over due to the air movement of the big boys....I warned him about his "dives." It was never called "a flop" or T and he rarely even got a foul called......he would just be spralwd on the floor with that look of on his face.

Funny, now he's a junior referee.....wonder how he'll handle it if he sees it?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper
some kids in certain programs are known to try to draw a lot of charges so we always discuss in pregame good viewing angle/defender position/initiate contact/ result and the time to call a technical foul on a fake charge is when the defender falls BEFORE contact is made. If you have a good angle and consistently reff the defense it isnt really that hard of a call.

That being said, I would only call a technical if it is obviously being done to deceive the officials and not a kid bailing out because he is afraid to get hit.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Reff
some kids in certain programs are known to try to draw a lot of charges so we always discuss in pregame good viewing angle/defender position/initiate contact/ result and the time to call a technical foul on a fake charge is when the defender falls BEFORE contact is made.
Wrong way to call the play, by rule.

If there is contact, you can't call a technical foul. It's legal for a defender to bail out and protect himself before the contact is made, as per rule 4-23-3(e). Any subsequent contact is then ruled a charge, block or a no call depending on the defender's LGP and the severity of the contact.

The technical foul is for faking being fouled...i.e. there is very, very minimal or NO contact. That's rule 10-3-7(f).

Not a bad idea either imo to maybe warn a player before whacking him.